I want to replace my processor. Which one is best/ compatible?

Hello,

This is my system:

Operating System

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

CPU

Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz

Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology

RAM

16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 800MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard

Gigabyte Z77X-D3H

(revision 1.0)

LGA1155 socket

BIOS version F8

(http://www.gigabyte.co.nl/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4144#ov)

Graphics

DELL U2412M (1920x1200@59Hz)

DELL U2412M (1920x1200@59Hz)

2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 (Gigabyte)

Storage

238GB SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series (SSD)

1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164 (SATA)

What would be the best replacement for my current CPU? Could I install a more recent CPU like the i7 4770K for example? The socket is the same, but I can't find it on this list:

http://www.gigabyte.us/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=4153

But is this list updated?

I'm not really interested in overclocking since I find this too complicated.

* You have a socket 1155 motherboard = you can only use s1155 CPUs.

Your i5-3570K is already top of the line Quad Core with no hyperthreading (HT), so the only realistic upgrade is to either overclock it, or go for a HT enabled i7 or Xeon E3 CPU for the s1155 (always).

* Since the fastest architecture for s1155 is the Ivy Bridge, which you already have, and the clocks on any possible upgrade are not that much higher than what you have now, unless you overclock you won't see better performance in pretty much anything but multithreaded portions of the applications you are running. That is rendering (not modeling), some Photoshop filters, exporting/transcoding video & audio files etc.

General system response when doing "other stuff" will see little to no benefit.

/rant off.

You realistic upgrades are

a) intel i7-3770K - 3.5GHz base clock is giving you 100Mhz (

b) intel 3770 (non K) - 3.4GHz = same CPU as above, but not overclockable and a tad cheaper. No need to go K if you won't clock it further really.

c) Some Xeon E3 1200 V2 family processor with 3.4GHz or better base clock and HT...

That's something like the E3-1240 v2. In some cases you can get those cheaper than an equivalent top-tier i7, but you cannot overclock.

Again, those are all Ivy Bridge CPUs with identical operations / instructions and nearly identical clocks with your i5. You won't see any real life speed improvement outside rendering.

Hello Dimitris,

Thanks for your answer!

The reason I want to replace the processor is for rendering with Vray. For interiors it has become too much of a pain. You say an i7 3770 will give a 25-30% boost in rendering. I think that's worth it for me.

Or would it be smarter to build a dedicated render node instead, like you describe on your website?

A node is a node...surely will add more oomph than hyperthreading, but that's a completely different discussion budget wise - tackled in multiple threads in various ways in these forums (talks on how much money you should spend, and whether or not licenses for render engines + OS + micromanaging the farm start becoming a hindrance after one point & which point is that etc etc).

After a certain point, nodes are the only way to increase your rendering power and multiply the availability of your workstation, as you can eventually disengage it from the rendering process - at least for lengthy projects.

there are plenty of tutorial on youtube for hardware upgrades if this is you're 1st time doing it, and much better than a written explanation.

As for nodes, check out my site http://www.deanpunchard.co.uk and see the small node I built a year or so ago. There are so many advantages over having 1 average PC and 1 node rather than having just 1 fast PC.

Dean