Import 3D autocad to sketchup

Hello,

Im trying to import 3D model from autocad (version 2000) to sketchup (v8 pro), but after the import everything imported looks like invisible group...I can see blue frame, there are also dwg layers and in model info statistics I can see I imported many edges , faces, etc. DWG file has about 100 MB, so I dont know its the point.

Is there anything I need to do with the DWG before the import?

I dont know anything about the dwg, it was given to me.

Or is there any other way how to get that model into sketchup? I have also .obj file of it and .max file.

This is a link to the DWG file

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By6F9zp-J6nHUVZqSy00cExoTGs/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks for any help

I had a look at it.

The typology is massive, and very detailed.

The building are also quite well modelled.

I would separate out the 2 completely and then try and work with them or re model the terrain.

If you can I would go back to the client and ask for separated files, each layer separately if they can.

and also ask them to relocate it to 0,0,0.

i have imported the dwg into max. It came in at 25497652m distance to the origin... (i think meters was wrong, but anyway, this is really too far away) i moved it to 0,0,0. Most of the building geometry is really crap - missing faces, messed up geometry.

I exported it to obj and got an error message of 3 errors in the building geometry.

Then i imported it into SU using fluid importer (free) for v8 . But as valerostudio said this will be no fun to work with in SU...

Here it is: >link removed

But if you have an max and obj version of the model you should better try these... maybe the geometry is only corupted in the dwg file.

Edited by numerobis

• 2 weeks later...

If you can open it in Max and use ProOptimize to reduce the polycount, then send it to SU via OBJ and that might help a bit. My warning is that not matter what you do, brining in a file from outside SU will almost always mean a monstrous file and will limit the effectiveness of SketchUp.