I'm Feeling Stupid: Vray 2.0

Corey Beaulieu

Hi everyone....

I have been using Vray for quite some time and feel like idiot for not knowing this answer myself, but I guess you learn something new everyday.

I inherited a file from another artist and everything is working out fine, but when I hit render I see the irradiance pass run 6 passes. I use multi-pass for the sake of region rendering, regardless, when it runs I see 1 of 6, then 2 of 6 and so on. I typically see 1 of 4, etc...

What causes the Irradiance pass to run extra passes?

It really doesn't matter I guess as the end result is fine, but I hate not knowing things. Any knowledge you provide is appreciate.

;)

Going back to the basics (http://help.chaosgroup.com/vray/help/150SP1/render_params_advancedimap.htm)

in nut shell the values of Irradiance Rate dictate how many passes you'll have calculating GI.

The manual explain the first values is the min value of subdivs for Irradiance, and the second value is the maximum, so the difference between them is the number of passes you'll see.

By default or VRay presets the difference is always 2 or 3, if you set this values manually depending of your combination you can get others numbers.

Even it is suggested to use multipass irr map, I found it, that using single pass irr map, can lower the render time.

Just my 2cc...

Also, when you have multi cameras setup in your scene, and use classic batch rander built into Max, or any other, by simple using

Incremental add to current map - in this mode V-Ray will use the irradiance map that is already in memory and will only refine it in places that don't have enough detail. This mode is useful when compiling an irradiance map to render multiple views of a static scene or a fly-through animation.

you can lower irr map calculating!

This is perfect way to render interiors...but you have to have at least 16GBs of RAM.

Edited by okmijun

It was indeed an Interpolation setting. I didn't think it was at first because that usually shows a blackened pass, but this object was not within the frame so I guess it didn't cause it's usual display.

I also used a Vray Automator script to turn all interpolations off and the 6 passes still persisted. The material was plugged into a 2-sided and wasn't getting turned off.

I pretty well always use the same setting for Min/Max so it was never going to be that and I do know Vray well enough to say it wasn't a new setting, but thank you guys all the same for the ideas and places to start looking.