Override Glossy Samples

ivanjay

If you are using VRay, you can use VMC script.

From what I can guess you are using Mental Ray, if so, there was similar script but they turn obsolete when Autodesk Materials came in, I have not use them but you can still try

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/multyconvertor

parameterManager

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_tools/soulburnscripts/soulburnscripts.htm

If you are using unified sampling, why you want to change to minimum of 1 any ways?

if your unified is default nothing change, if you increase this value everything get X multiplied so from 1 to 2 will make big improvements.

Also some materials need less samples to clean if everything has the same sampling it will just increase your render time.

Not vray, mental ray. I have always been told when using unified set all multipliers to 1 control sampling via quality on the sampling setting and let it calculate where it needs it.

As I change it to 1 my render time decreases significantly

Not true... The entire idea of unified is it will continue sampling until max when required.... If you have a multiplier in the material options it will multiply above and beyond what unified seems needed. Or if you have, for example, 16 as a wall paint when it is a matte finish and not needed it will sample 16 times

are we talking about Global Turning Parameters? or Sampling values? your question was about glossy samples.

Any ways what you said is right, but Max always calculate until "he think is right" and that can be controlled with the Noise Threshold, Talking about Unified Sampling Mode, you have a "Quality" control that is is the noise threshold and min-Max samples.

If you have a material that has 16 samples in glossy, you will cap the calculations to 16 if need it, not the 128 that is default in the Unified sampler in the render panel.

But this 128 still depend of the Quality value.

So yes if you decrease your material samples to 1 and use Unified sampling your glossy reflection are processed by the Quality values on the unified method first then decide how many samples it will use.

Glossy sampling at the material level set to 1 is what I want. My understanding is that is the best to let unified do its thing. When I reduce I get the identical quality results and a much faster rendering. My understanding is if it is set at 8 at the material level it will sample 8 times. Therefore wasting time on a diffuse material

Pretty sure Mental Ray is smart enough to know if there is not glossy values it won't waste time rendering

The problem is when you use Autodesk materials all of them have glossy values. Even flat paints

As mentioned early I have not used any material setup script for a while in Mental Ray but you can search in scriptspot.com

Hopefully someone else will pop with some other options. ;)