Few questions from beginner. Im really getting mad and hopeless

1406640177.jpg

Studio/Institution: Student
Genre: Residential Exterior
Software: 3dsMax
Description:

Hello everyone, i have just graduated on master studies of architecture. During studies i didnt have enough time to improve my rendering and visualisation. So i decided better now than never. I am modeling in AutoCad and then importing files to 3dsMax where i render in vray.

I have few questions:

1.On top is prinstcreen and bottom is targa file of render. Why is it so much brighter?

2.Wooden flooring looks blurred for some reason, diffuse map used is 8300x5000

3.Next to pool bed, you will notice something that looks like noise effect. I am using HSV Exponential color mapping.

Every critique and advice will be greatly appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

1.On top is prinstcreen and bottom is targa file of render. Why is it so much brighter?

2.Wooden flooring looks blurred for some reason, diffuse map used is 8300x5000

3.Next to pool bed, you will notice something that looks like noise effect. I am using HSV Exponential color mapping.

1 - This is due to gamma correction, and not viewing your image in sRGB space. On the VRay framebuffer there is a button at the bottom to toggle an sRGB curve on and off, just hover over the buttons until you see the correct tooltip pop up.

It's also worth checking that you have max & vray set up for what is known as a "linear workflow", or Gamma 2.2 as it is otherwise known. There are countless tutorials on this, but this one is the one that solved it for me a long time ago; http://www.3dm3.com/articles/tutorial-linear-workflow/

2 - No idea, perhaps you have Bitmap Proxies turned on in the render settings dialogue. This will automatically downscale any maps over a given size, thus reducing them in quality. This is really only worth using under two circumstances;

- Your scene is massive and using copious amounts of RAM.

- Your PC is old, decrepit and has hardly any RAM.

The only other reason I can think would be that you have filtering/blur on the bitmap turned up really high.

3 - Which bit? The whole image has various noise problems but let's tackle one bit at a time.

• 2 months later...

1. unfortunately, it looks like it has already been set up to 2.2 by default.. can i do something so my render export wont be affected by sRGB?

2. filtering/blur was 1 by default. i did not turn Bitmap Proxies. i dont even know how. Im using laptop with i7 processor, 8gb RAM which should be enough for this scene.

3. just next to bed in pool, you can notice that it looks burned or smth. like tiny white dots..

• 4 weeks later...