Adjust primitive's size not from centre

Jon Berntsen

Hi. Some years ago there was a thread here about the same I am looking for a solution to now. It's closed for new replies, so I am making a new thread.

I am trying to adjust the width of a box primivite from one of the sides instead of from the centre. Adjusting from the centre makes my alignment totally wrong, and the box expands on both sides. No-go.

Max must have come a long way from 2009 when it seemed to be no solution to this other than making your own script or primitive.

It should be very simple to do what I am trying to, but I can't find any solution anywhere. Anyone?

I am using max design 2013.

Here is the old thread:

http://forums.cgarchitect.com/34400-moving-pivot-point.html

Corey, thanks, I appreciate your response.

The extrude method is a fairly good alternative, allthough it will leave me with one more step with fiddling around with the top view.

I guess I'd just like to draw a box directly in the perspective mode, align it from where I want it to start, and then give it the correct width (or height) from there. If I draw a rectangle in perspective view, the extrude will be upwards on Z, not on X or Y. So this is not a good solution after all.

There must be a way to do this with a primitive!?

Just hit F to get into Front view. It really is not a lot of labor.

At any rate, 2015 has a new feature that seems to be what you are looking for:

I appreciate it very much. Thanks! I will try your solution until I get max15. It is not that this is critical, I am just annoyed about myself using a lot of time on something that perhaps could have been done much easier. I am in on of the "improve workflow" weeks, I guess. :)