Extrusions from Vray Material

bencon

Hi All

Hopefully this isn't a double-post, I thought the other one had gone through but can't seem to find it.

I'm somewhat-new to Vray and am trying to create a scene. I have a gravel-texture that I downloaded from flying architecture (top left of : http://www.flyingarchitecture.com/materials-stone/). I've applied it to a nurbs-surface representing a drape over contours, and for some reason the gravel is now protruding straight up, like stalagmites (stalagtites? whichever one points up).

I've attached an image that would hopefully clarify a bit. Its Vray 2.0 for Rhino.StoneForest.jpg

I've tried forum-searching and troubleshooting a couple things but with no success. I feel like there's some setting somewhere that I've changed by accident. Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers,

-BC

Hi. I don't think V-ray is the sinner. Honestly I don't know Rhino, but if there is such option there, you are probably not working in world units. It seems like it's displacing too much. Change units or go into V-ray for solution with decreasing the amount of displace in the material.

Ive never used Rhino, but with displacement in 3ds max using vray, you can either add displacement in the material, or add a modifier to geometry that is called vray displacement. With the modifier, it is much easyer to control the height of the displacement. When using a displacement map in the material only, there is a value from 0-100 that seems to be pretty random, allthough it might just be me who havent figured out how it works. Try to lower the displacement value in the material and see if the stalagmites shrink.