Vray Distributed Render using servers out of my local network

pierrebarthe

Hello,

This is my first post here, but i often come here to read interresting posts !

My workstation is at the office, and at home i have servers that can be used as renderfarm. For technical reasons (not enough room in the office and noisy servers ) i can't have the server at the office.

My question : Is it possible to configure Vray DR to use my servers at home for rendering, keeping my worksation at the office (of course) :)

Thank you for your help.

Pierre

Edited by pierrebarthe

Possible? Sure. Practical? Probably not, unless you have a very fast internet connection. When DR starts, it has to send all of the scene data to the slave nodes. You can reduce the bandwith needed by making sure your farm has local copies of all your textures, proxies, etc. But unless you're doing some really big images, it's likely that your workstation will have the rendering mostly done by the time your farm receives all the data and gets started.

Another option would be to designate one machine in your farm to be the "master", and set it up to use the other machines in the farm as DR nodes. Then, you can send the rendering to your "master" machine via Backburner, leaving your workstation free to continue working while the rendering happens at home.

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your answer.

it is the case i dont have a fast internet connection but if i would have tryed the first solution what would have been the configuration to make it works ?

I will try your second option.

Thanks again.

Pierre

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with VRay, so I couldn't tell you how to set it up. If I had to guess, it would be like setting up DR in a normal environment with the addition of making sure your machines at home are port forwarded through your router so that your workstation can see them. You'd probably have to assign a unique port to each machine instead of using the default DR port so that they are uniquely addressable from outside your home network. I've never tried it, though, so it's all just a guess.

It's a huge headache to get going but it's possible. I think the best way to do it is to set up a VPN using something like logmein hamachi.

This would be your option, but even with fast internet (I have symmetrical 250/250Mbit for example) it wouldn't really work great I assume.

Same setup but with backburner to avoid the constant traffic is probably better choice.