Seeking advice on current PC Hardware

Hi guys,

just some background information. I am an architectural visualizer working in Singapore. I bought a workstation about a year ago and used it from time to time for work. (rendering, Photoshop, the usual stuff).

I have recently decided to take a break from my full-time job and do some freelance work from home. However, I came across some issue with vray and 3ds max crashing while handling jobs that takes over an hour to render. I would like to not only solve this issue. But also to prepare myself from other future problems.

So getting into my main point, I would like to seek advice from experienced user, for comments on my PC inventory, whether there are any incompatibilities between software and hardware. I am slightly knowledgeable in the IT department thanks to google, so I will try my best to list out or the information needed.

Softwares used: Photoshop CS5, 3dsmax 2014 with vray 2.4

below are the list of my PC hardware:

Intel i7 3770 3.4GHZ 8MB

Asus P8Z77 WS

Leadtek Quadro 2000 1GB DDR5 PCI-E

Kingston Hyper-X 12800/1600 (8GBx2)

Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB INT SSD

WD Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 16MB Sata 3

Antec High Current Gamer M 620W

Coolermaster Centrion 6

Thank you for taking your time to read :)

if it is crashing only on longer jobs and RAM is not the point... did you check the temps? Are you using the boxed cooler?

Hi, are your referring to the temperature of my motherboard? I just did a google search. Apparently there is a setting on my motherboard that overclocks my cpu by default. Will have a look at that after work.

Hi all, sorry for the delayed response. I've been away for a business trip. The good news is that I solved the crashing while rendering issue.

I opened up my casing and noticed the Asus logo on the motherboard was flashing red while rendering. A quick google shows that apparently there are 3 standard settings in the motherboard bios that controls the cpu, and it has been set to high performance by default.

I basically just changed the setting to normal, ( Asus logo turned to blue ), rendered a 7 hour scene, no crashes !

Thank you all for information !

• 2 weeks later...