VRay and liniair workflow for realistic lighting

angelocleef

Hi,

I have been struggeling for weeks now to get VRay working properly. No matter what tutorial I follow, my outcome is always very poor compared to the ones in the tutorial.

I looked up "Liniair workflow" and used the settings they gave me on the websites but still the outcome if very poor. Everything is "dark" and white is no where near "white".

Could someone please tell me the correct settings for liniair workflow with 3ds Max 2014 and VRay 2.3 please?

Also, lots of tutorials show option A and B in screen A, but when I go there all I have is option A... Have tried so many things to get my lighting right without success so far.

I will include a model in which I want my lightning working (model aint finished yet but it is more to learn the lighting settings et cetera).

I just want everything to be good visible (lighted) like in this picture for example:

http://www.cgarchitect.com/2014/08/belgian-design

No matter where you look, white is white and everywhere is good lighting!

Hope u guys can help me out :)

model: http://www.filedropper.com/model_2

First the image that you are showing as sample, has lot of post work, and that's usually the norm, do not think that everything that you see on the internet is right out of the render engine, all the images that you admire and love have lots of post work. With that being said, if your image straight out of render seems darker or lack of contrast this can be easily fix in photoshop.

After review your scene, use only one portal light per opening, no need to add one light per window glass panel. even if your building has two or more windows very close of each other sometimes I use only one big sky portal, but that me. Just put one sky portal per window opening you'll be fine.

Reset all your values to default, Irradiance and Light cache will be your best bet for interiors Speed/quality wise.

in your camera values, un check vignetting(this can be added in post) and setup your white balance accordingly or put it to neutral, this will help you to show your white, well more white ;)

Also if you feel the light coming from your window is burning out of control, try using Reinhard as color mapping,with a burn value of 06 or so. instead of linear, even thou this can be fixed in photoshop later, still some people like to have that controlled in the render.

The main thing that I see here, is that you only have two windows in your room, that in reality will not be enough to lit the whole room, you need to add some artificial light inside, some lamp, recessed lighting or something, also you can add some hidden area light to compensate the lack of light in your scene.

The image that you are showing as sample has more window openings that yours, and I am pretty sure way more lights than your original setup.

Your problem is not linear workflow, is just lack of experience or knowledge with your 3D software and render engine

Things are more complicated than they seem in ArchViz, that's the fun of it, just keep practicing and post your updates ;)

Best luck

Francisco Penaloza, thank you for your reply!

There is almost no postwork in there ;) I downloaded the model (incl. lighting) and after rendering the outcome is exactly the same. I guess it is just very high detailed modelling and texturing haha.

Anyways, I am making a new scene at the moment with better modelling and texturing. I am still learning but I will do my best to make something better then my previous attempt seeing "good lighting" is not the only key to photo realistic renders as you just explained to me :)

I will post my outcome later tonight.

A quick question: how can I compensate the lack of light in my scene? in the back of the room is not enough lighting and thus I get strange darker spots on my walls. I was thinking of adding a light that will light everything, but... what type of light should I use?

Anyways, thanks for your answer, lots of good stuff in it. Will post an update later today :)

EDIT: Here is a update of my current model and render. Been working on it all day. I think it looks better then my previous one, still doesnt look no where near "photo realistic" but it is an improvement I think :)

Two issues at the moment. In the back of the room (top right) is not enough lighting, and thus there are dark spots everywhere which I am unable to get rid of so far.

The lamps use Vray 2 side material. I wanted them to look black and "fabric-ish" but the result turns out quite poor every time.

I am going to add some random stuff like glasses (drinks), a clock, and various other things. I hope someone can help me out with the light problem. I tried adding a dome light but that didnt work lol.

Maybe a Vray light which excludes my roof and lights everything (on low intencity volume)?

[picture deleted]

Last edit: I bumped up my HSph. Subdivs to 1000 and Interp. samples to 1200, this fixed the "smudge" on my walls where the light wasnt able to get to. I dont know if this is "the" solution but for this render it did work lol. Just increased my render time like 15 time but what ever... it worked!!!!!

The outcome is this (not finished obviously but I think it is a nice improvement compared to my last render / model):

render.jpg

Naamloos-2.jpg

Edited by angelocleef
added update