Backburner could not find manager until re-opened

Hello

I have a render machine setup so that on start up it runs the server for backburner. When it starts up it says it cannot find the manager and will keep trying but it never manages to find it. However if i close the server and restart it, it finds the manager no problem and starts to render.

I think this may be due to the mapped drives possibly? When the computer boots it does say cannot reconnect to network drives but again if you select the drives you can access them.

Maybe the computer isnt finding the network before the server has started. Has anyone else come across this problem before and have a solution???

Thanks!

If you are using mapped drives as opposed to UNC you won't be able to render but only because the render server won't find the maps.

How are you configuring the server to run at startup? Are you running it as a service or are you trying to do it a different way? We have found that we have to set the service to run "automatic (delayed)" or we sometimes have problems connecting.

If you have the firewall turned on I would temporarily disable it on both machines. You can configure the firewall to work with BB down the road but for troubleshooting purposes, it's good to have it off.

If you are using mapped drives as opposed to UNC you won't be able to render but only because the render server won't find the maps.

How are you configuring the server to run at startup? Are you running it as a service or are you trying to do it a different way? We have found that we have to set the service to run "automatic (delayed)" or we sometimes have problems connecting.

If you have the firewall turned on I would temporarily disable it on both machines. You can configure the firewall to work with BB down the road but for troubleshooting purposes, it's good to have it off.

Thanks, we have configured it at start-up by just copying the shortcut to the start-up menu. I believe it is running as a service as well though however, what name does this show up in under services?

Nope. It can't run as a service and as an application. If you want it to run at startup you should install it as a service but I wouldn't try and get it running as a service until it runs reliably as an application. What happens if you take the shortcut out of the startup folder and start it manually? Do you still have to shut it down and restart?

Nope. It can't run as a service and as an application. If you want it to run at startup you should install it as a service but I wouldn't try and get it running as a service until it runs reliably as an application. What happens if you take the shortcut out of the startup folder and start it manually? Do you still have to shut it down and restart?

Hi

If i remove from startup menu and just open once the computer has booted it is fine.

Then you should be able to just install backburner as a service. Two of the three posts on my blog are related to that subject, (see signature). It's for XP (it's that old) but the basic concepts are the same. Someone might have typed up the process for Win7 here on the forum, so you can do a search for that.

Then you should be able to just install backburner as a service. Two of the three posts on my blog are related to that subject, (see signature). It's for XP (it's that old) but the basic concepts are the same. Someone might have typed up the process for Win7 here on the forum, so you can do a search for that.

Hello again

I installed the backburner service but now like you said i cannot open the application, so my render machine is not being recognised by the manager and is still showing as absent.

I suspect something else, because I also run the same 'primitive' setup (mapped drives, no UNC, both backburner and distributed node as application, no service. It proved easiest to setup and maintain),

And if I do the following:

1)Run manager on workstation

2)Start node with server (which is done exactly like you, in 'Start' folder), it will connect to manager (but in case manager wasn't running on WS, it will keep trying to connect forever as well), despite Mapped drive failing because it tried to connect to soon.

Running render right now on network, but will check tomorrow again few more combinations. Win8.1 on all WS and Nodes.

You can increase the level of verbosity in the server window which might give you an idea why it won't connect when you run it right at startup. You could also look into writing a batch file which runs the application after a couple of minutes. I suspect the problem is that the application or the service are firing up before something they depend on has started.

We get around this problem at work by placing a batch file in the startup folder, rather than the actual shortcut itself. The batch file deletes all the mapped drives, re-add's them, opens an explorer.exe in each of those locations, then starts up server.exe. The reason we open an explorer is that we were finding that sometimes the drives would remap but have a red X. All you needed to do was double click them to go straight into the drive (And thus remove the red x) but no applications could access those drives until you did so. Opening explorer.exe in those drives just automates that manual process of double clicking the drive.

I love Windows.

Hello

I have a render machine setup so that on start up it runs the server for backburner. When it starts up it says it cannot find the manager and will keep trying but it never manages to find it. However if i close the server and restart it, it finds the manager no problem and starts to render.

This has nothing to do with mapped vs unc paths.

When windows starts up, it's almost asif the server has a delay in seeing the tcpip config. This doesnt happen all the time, but enough for it to be annoying. Watch the server window closely when it starts. It's looking for the manager in the wrong ip range. When you close it and open it again, it then sees the correct ip config and connects to the manager fine

Edited by Morne