3dsmax material editor

cg_Butler

Hi all.

I've dipped in to Corona over the last couple of days and i must say i like it! Planning on converting a work interior from VRay to Corona to see how Corona looks on an actual project.

Anyway, I love the way corona displays materials in the material editor, why doesn't VRay do this!? I've Google searched to see if it's possible to do something similar using a customized material editor file to replicate this with VRay but it seems that although you can create a custom material editor slot with your own shape and lighting using standard lights, there is no support for VRay lights, even if VRay is set as your renderer.

I hope this is something they will implement in the next release. But I expect updates to slow down since they've launched VRay for other software packages now. I expect they'll be ironing out any problems with those for a bit.

Your thoughts peeps.....

I do like the look of the Corona material editor although the quality of the image is horrible unless you adjust it but then it takes forever to clean up. I don't think vray for max updates will slow down much if at all, they still know where they are making the majority of their money and can implement max improvements to other versions after the fact.

Not through Max I guess for now, but yes through Vrlmat http://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY3/V-Ray+Material+Editor

Here you go.

I do like the look of the Corona material editor although the quality of the image is horrible unless you adjust it but then it takes forever to clean up.

Do you still refer to mat editor only ? If so you mean it takes forever if you rise the mat preview multiplier from 1 to higher ? I don't know, I use the default one, the noise doesn't matter much, I only rise it if I need to take screenshots :- )

Yea just in the mat editor, the actual render quality is very nice judging by your work (my work does not look as nice no matter what engine haha). You are right though, the noise is really not a big deal it just doesn't look as pleasing. The noisy preview still shows what you need to see when setting up a material.

I think there is some issue in how 3dsMax handles its material editor, which by itself isn't fast magic. This is probably why Vray and other renderers choose to bring they own rendered previews to be separate app inside.

The problem is not so much that it takes time to clean up the noise, but that it freezes until it does so.

After posting this I actually managed to get a Custom material slot working using VRay. It works quite well but I didn't spend long doing it so need to test a few things out. Not sure it works quite the same.

I need to check out the one you linked to Juraj. Thanks for that.

I'm surprised it's not been mentioned before on here, I haven't checked the chaos for for such requests. I can't be the first surely. I will check though and if it's not been suggested I will be sure to.

It would be great if when you change Max's renderer to VRay, the material editor automatically loaded in VRay rendered material samples with GI etc. It would help a lot. I will definitely continue using my custom one though. I think it will work very well with some tweaking, I just need the time!

• 2 months later...

Hi peeps.

Here is a link to my maxfile. Save it on your system. I saved mine in to the 3dsmax scenes folder to keep things tidy.

Custom VRay Material Slot.max

Do the following to load it in. In the material editor window (I'm old school so still use the compact mode) press O to open the option window. In the Custom Sample Object click on the button and load in the maxfile you saved. Tick Load Camera and/or Lights as this will use the lights and camera in the maxfile. Then click apply.

Now on a material slot you need to change the sample type to custom and the slot will change to the custom one from the maxfile. This is the top button along the side of the material slots that looks like a sphere. Hold your mouse down on to it and change it to the question mark.

You can change the lighting/exposure of the sample slot or the custom shape by opening the Custom VRay Material Slot.max and changing the camera exposure or the object. Just make sure it doesn't go outside of the Viewport safety area, the yellow square around the viewport. I hope it's of use to some!

It's by no means brilliant and i have since stopped using it to be honest.

Hopefully Chaos will implement a version like Corona does, but i fear that's a long way off! If you ass a background in to my file, when you change the diffuse colour, it changes the background too which is a bit annoying!

• 10 months later...