3DS & VRAY distriubted rener - how do i do it?

simonm

Hi all

I have 3DS 2015 (with latest updates applied) and vray 3.00.07.

I have recently purchased a new PC as well and would like to use my old PC as a render slave.

I have purchased the vray single licence and Im lead to believe it allows me to render on a render node (vray GUI on one pc and render on one machine as im told)

So my question is, how do i get this to play nice? I've tried several online tutorials to no avail and all i see are the primary PC render buckets and not the slave render buckets.

Please help i would appreciated any input or direction.

Thanks

Simon

ok no so im confused, when i followed autodesks prompts to use backburner and vrays info on distributed rendering, i get this error on backburner when rendering:

3DS Max adapter error: Autodesk 3DS Max Design 17.1 reported error (VRAY) could not otain a licence (10061)

That error is referring to my SLAVE machine. The vray dongle is plugged into the primary PC.

SOOO.... does this mean im only able to render on the primary machine? I was lead to believe with my single workstation licence, I was able to use another PC as a slave to help with the rendering.

Hi all

I have 3DS 2015 (with latest updates applied) and vray 3.00.07.

I have recently purchased a new PC as well and would like to use my old PC as a render slave.

I have purchased the vray single licence and Im lead to believe it allows me to render on a render node (vray GUI on one pc and render on one machine as im told)

So my question is, how do i get this to play nice? I've tried several online tutorials to no avail and all i see are the primary PC render buckets and not the slave render buckets.

Please help i would appreciated any input or direction.

Thanks

Simon

From Chaos Group's website:

By purchasing 1 copy of V-Ray 3.0 Workstation for 3ds Max, users get the ability to use V-Ray’s Graphical User Interface (GUI) for editing their settings on one machine and also to render on one machine as a Render Node.

The rendering can be performed either on the same machine where the GUI license is used, or on another machine in the network.

In order to use additional computers for rendering though, you will now have to purchase additional V-Ray 3.0 Render nodes.

So it sounds like if you want to use a node, you can't also be using your local machine. I could be misreading that though. Try unticking the box in the DR settings called "use local host" and see if that works. So basically you would be running the GUI on your main workstation but the node would be doing all the work. Note that you won't get a light cache preview -- that's normal behavior.

Also, are you sure you have your render node set up to read the license on the host computer on the network? (Windows Start > All Programs > Chaos Group > V-Ray Standalone for x64 > Change V-Ray Client license settings.)

Here is a link to check out some help resources about network licensing for V-Ray: http://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VS/Setting+up+your+Licenses

Edited by braddewald

Thanks Bradley for your response.

Yes, I want to use my local machine as well as my old PC to render (slave) to render a scene. I can get what you mentioned about un-ticking the local host to work - it simply uses the old PC to render the scene but i cant get both pcs to render the scene simultaneously.

So are you saying I cant use both pcs to render the 1 job simultaneously? If not ill be bitterly disappointed with my vray re-seller as I wasn't told that and according to the vray website, id have to buy another license (the 1-4 render node license) which is a further 350usd. Not ideal for a small time freelancer like myself :\

So it sounds like if you want to use a node, you can't also be using your local machine. I could be misreading that though. Try unticking the box in the DR settings called "use local host" and see if that works. So basically you would be running the GUI on your main workstation but the node would be doing all the work. Note that you won't get a light cache preview -- that's normal behavior.

Also, are you sure you have your render node set up to read the license on the host computer on the network? (Windows Start > All Programs > Chaos Group > V-Ray Standalone for x64 > Change V-Ray Client license settings.)

Here is a link to check out some help resources about network licensing for V-Ray: http://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VS/Setting+up+your+Licenses

thanks for the response guys.... I do require to render on 2 pcs simultaneously whether it be for the same scene or not so it looks like i need to purchase another render node license... there goes more money :o

thanks again

Brad thanks for the input - i was actually doing what you said and wasted a whole afternoon.... it would only render on one PC... arrrgghhh frustrating... but worth it in the end as i learnt a thing or two about backburner.

There's also a distinction between distributed rendering (via VRay) and backburner (3ds max). Both are different, though as stated before you'll still need a node license.

I was however under the impression that each VRay GUI license comes with a node license too? I can't remember, they used to come with 10 node licences! Have you told your render slave where to look for the license? You need to go to start/programs/chaos group/.../change vray client license settings and point the node to the IP address of the main PC with the dongle.

Edited by Macker

Thanks Chris - how do you mean exactly?

Im new to backburner - too lazy to have used it in the past nor did i need to. From what I know its simply a rendering manager whereby you can allocate job/s to be rendered either by x amount of PCs or delegated where required

Another nice thing about backburner when you have many nodes, lets say for example 10 nodes, is this:

If you need to render couple images, you can que them with backburner AND use DR

So for example you setup DR in the render and then send the job to BACKBURNER using only 1 server. That server in turn will use DR to render your image. You can que up all your renders even from different jobs and then go home. When one render is done, the next one will start and so on.

OR

You can makes groups of things. For example you can send a job to a single BackBurner server which in turn will use for example 3 of your nodes to render. Do that with different renders, assinging each time a different slave (that is not already participating in a render), each one in turn using different DR slaves.

That way, you can for example have 3 jobs or views rendering at the SAME time on different systems AND they can be qued to render more jobs

So Server1 will render a job and use itself and node 2, 3 and 4 as DR

Server 5 will render a job using itself and node 6 and 7 as DR

Server 8 will render a job using itself and node 9 and 10 as DR

Best thing since slice bread :- )

Although, if you have the cash seriously look at getting Deadline for this sort of thing - much better.