RPC or polys, land survey data and other helpfull tips!

mhinks

Hi all

Im putting together a quote for a developer who has asked us to visualise a new marina development in the UK.

Im looking at getting OS or other sourced laser land survey data for the terrain, and then model from the architechs drawings the new buildings and surrounding areas features. They are looking at getting an animation, couple of minutes, coming in to the development from the main road so the locals can see how the marina will effect the current views.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a company for the land survey data, and whether I should go for RPC cars, trees for low poly ones? I have euro trees library already.

Any other helpfull tips would be greatfully recieved.

Kind regards

hello,

we are working on huge scale projects and always faced a problem concdering the landscape elements.. especially the trees.

one important advice NEVER use the rpcs for massive coverge. since the rpc trees are non instances ur processor and ram will die for that.

we are currently using maps and crossed plans for the trees.

best regards

M.anani

well, to disagree on this one: I disagree. RPC's are the most efficient way to put a lot of trees in your scene cause they are only about 2 faces per tree. The preperation of the RPC's take some time, but the render below rendered in 1 minute 50 seconds on a P4 3,06Ghz (HT disabled) the scene has 800 RPC's in it and are all different. So each of them has a different texture applied to it. Try 800 trees with bionatics or any other solution and your rendering time will be a lot more. The disadvantage of the RPC are that they are made for eyelevel viewing. You can do birdseye view but to a certain height as you can see in the rendering...

I could propably get the rendering time down to about 1 minute when I do some optimazation of the RPC content. Do a random billboard, turning of jitter, applying same materials to some of the RPC's etc.....

[edit]

ow, memory usage was 300/500MB

[edit]

I would second the use of RPC's as the way to go for an animation. It does use quite a bit of ram but as long as you don't run out it shouldn't affect your render times too much, nothing like natFX or actual models of trees anyway, and the RPC's will probably look better than models (low poly ones anyway) as well. I've seen criss cross trees look OK for animations but only at a distance. I think it would be a tall order to get them to look very good at all in foregrounds.

I ran across a problem during network rendering an animation with hundreds of trees where the server with all the RPC's just died trying to feed the information to all the computers I had strung together (25 or 30). It was fine with up to 10 machines, but after that the renderings that used to take 2 minutes were jumping to 45 mins. to an hour.

Because these were other people's workstations (with limited drive space) I couldn't just dump the RPC's locally for the slaves to render. It might be an option for you though.

Thanks for the replies, all of which are very helpfull.

I think Ill stick with RPC for now, and maybe as you said Calvino, keep a set of the RPC's on the local machines. Although, how would I go about this? Do I put a set on each machine, then when putting them in to the scene, load them from the local drive, then the servers will also look to the same local dir for them? So the important thing is to put the RPC Dir in he same place on all machines?

Im still stuck for land survey data. Anyone from the UK got any ideas?

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Just to add on what's been said on the landscaping and vegetation issues, I've used Bionatics (easynat first and then natfx) and really thought it was much better then RPC because it did all that Rpc did (cross or single billboards) but also higher polys like 250 faces in hybrid. Both the Hybrid and 2D billboard can be instanced .. since they were geometry I didn't care which angle it worked every time. I was using RPC before and it did ok for a just a couple of trees but for massive ones.. ouch ...

For a quick comparison I'd say try both the rpc demo and the easynat that comes free with max. Attached are results with easynat

Pierre