360 spherical stereoscopic image?

jbOS

Hey,

I can render a stereoscopic image just fine, as well as a 360 spherical panoramic image. But am finding combining the two very hard. Not even sure if it is possible?

I use the VRayStereoscopic helper for the stereo part and it works as it should. But if I change the vray camera setting to spherical with a FOV override of 360 its ignored. As if the stereo helper overrides it.

Is there any way to get the two to work together so I can render out a spherical image in stereo?

Or is it possible to setup the vray physical camera to render a 360 image without using the vray camera settings in the render dialog?

Any ideas?

Cheers,

J

Vray 3.0

3DS Max 2014 Design

Ive never tried it, but the physics of creating a stereoscpic image would infer that its impossible. The 'eye' seperation needs to have a target to be perpendicular to, therefore wouold have a point of rotation. The 360 renders cannot have a focal point, so they cant have the necessary speration during rotation. Does that make sense? Its been a long day...

That does make sense yeah. I have seen in done in real world photography so I am hoping there is some way to do it in vray.....

Really? I'd love to see an example. I would imagine seeing a converging parallax at the zeniths perpendicular to the image plane. Thats just plain weird...

I cant see how they would work. If you look directly left or right, then both cameras see the same thing. There's no left / right seperation, only z-depth seperation. I dunno, maybe thats enough...

"Twin camera spherical panorama capture of action scenes is non-trivial currently --- mainly because of calibration problems due to the off-axis cameras and blending issues in the stitching process viz. the left and right views are not aligned laterally except at one scene depth -- and manual guidance (eg. masks) needs to be given to the blending algorithms to ensure identical L/R stitching of action elements in the overlapping images in the L/R sequences."

that was a 2009 post on a forum.

I can imagine the real world solution being a slit scan capture (rather like how a spheron works) either double mounted or with a with an offset pano head driving a consistant separation. rather like your neck and eyes as your head turns.

The poor mans rendering equivalent would be a 1 pixel wide, full fisheye height render, on an offset rig, rendered as an animation over the 360 degree width (so thats 1920 x 2 images to compile in post).

Quite easily doable.

Edited by Tommy L

• 5 months later...

I was tryin to do 360 panoramic stereoscopic image but that is not possible. This is fake stereoscopic . He juste move same image in one side... Like Tom said it is not possible because of eyes position, so you can create two 360 panoramic images and merge them in stereoscopic, but when you rotate 90 to lefr or right you will not see 3d because in that spot your eyes position would be in same line and for 3d you need to have separated pictures 6-8 cm depending on person for close view and you can put more if target object is far away. Solution to this static 3d stereoscopic image, is real time 3d with oculus rift, samsung vr and sony, or carboard google ( i prefer this one because it is cheap). You can use unity and unreal engine for this, but 360 panoramic stereoscopic image, forget it because it is not possible to create one (realistic, not faked).

• 3 months later...

No it doesnt it is mobile app. But it works with one equirectangular image if there is a option to connect with mobile I think it would be possible. People buy Rift, and it is closed just like Apple products. Why you didnt watch OSVR Razor, hardware is better than Rift.