Hotel

zackmod

-If you're using VRay there is no excuse for having converging verticals. Press the "guess vert" button on the vrayphysicalcamera to straighten them.

-The patch of grass on the lower right corner is drawing my attention far more than it ought to; it needs something there to force the eye back in to the centre of the image.

-The asphalt material just looks like a noise map; which is fine if you tweak it more - the scale of it looks too big, and it's too uniform. Perhaps layer some different noises together using the composite map, if noise is what you want to use.

-The small trees to the front of the building have all been scaled vertically, and thus look squashed.

-The lighting is thoroughly boring. Try not to light from behind the camera, try to light from the side and cast interesting shadows. I would choose to light the larger of the two building facades (so sun on the right) and cast some long shadows over to the left.

-The sky is boring. There's nothing wrong with a blue sky, but perhaps work a bit more contrast in to it, or add some distant clouds near the horizon. Other than that, swap it for a more interesting sky.

-The composition is boring. You're neither at a decent height to make it an aerial shot, nor are you at ground level looking up (which would be far better for this). Try reading up on the "rule of thirds".

-I am going to go out on a limb here and without wishing to offend, the absolute worst part of the image by a country mile is the design of the building. I assume you had nothing to do with this and are merely working with what you've been provided with; which makes composition so much more important.

I agree - that block of strip mall architecture with garish signs is completely dominating the image making the tower look secondary. I would really play down the signs and have nice trees in front as high as you can get away with. Also the tacky building on the side is pulling your eye right so I would de-staturate/darken/crop it. The people seem to be different scales and loosely jumbled up. I would scale them and place them with more care.

Cars look squished in the foreground - especially that Audi suv.

• 2 months later...