Missing map

komyali

I know - it's a psychological pain in the butt.

I look at the missing file name - then look at expanded list of materials and see

what material it's attached to - that material will list the objects that have that material applied.

If it's not too complicated, select that object and delete it if it's not doing anything, or apply another material

to it that doesn't have the missing file associated with it.

man I have one scene with imported TV and later I changed picture on tv but now it is missing old picture, so when I delete TV it is missing again, cant find any object in list, I think best way is to copy whole scene to new max file... and yes it is psychological pain in the butt xD

Use the Relink Bitmaps script by Colin Senner. It also gives you the option to delete the missing map if you don't need it.

Yep, script is a real time saver. Every model company does it different and some do it horrible so all their maps will be missing. I just set it up to find anything in my assets folder (contains all my personal maps and purchased models etc) and in about 10 seconds or so everything is good. If it does not find it then it is not available so I delete it or find something to replace it with.

• 2 months later...
Never ending question. My every scene have missing file window at open, on some I find file, but on some I can't find nothing, no material no object no nothing but missing file at beginning. What to do?

watson

Devise a better system for file keeping...

You need to make sure that you copy all maps and proxies to a central folder(s) per project, or however you want to set it up, but Max is not losing your files. Zoa Path Editor can help you move things around and/or you need to setup a stable path for map/proxy drives.

Sorry

• 2 weeks later...

You are right, I didnt said I dont use them, but just that I hate them :D If you build some product you build it whole not just part and then later use plugin, I am talking about basic things not plugins for parametric architecture and expert stuff... Imagine you buy car and they say to you that you need to buy "plugin" wheels (although they do it with rims but that is extra)

• 3 weeks later...