Having issues getting nice results with Vray 3.0 for 3DS Max

danicajeffrey

I recently purchased Vray 3.0 and have no idea how to use it to produce nice photo real images. I used to work with Mental Ray but have always wanted to try Vray since all the amazing images I've ever seen seem to use it.

I have a deadline for an interior scene and the lights just looks terrible. I have put in a VraySun, VrayLights set as Sky portals over the windows and a Vray light inside but it just looks somewhat blown out but also badly lit at the same time. I have also put in a Vray camera and adjusted the ISO to be 700.

Can anyone offer some Vray lighting tricks for interiors at daytime? Please see the image attached (image above is the quality I need to get to and the image below is my current draft render which looks terrible!) Also can anyone tell me how to get rid of the text that appears over my render that tells me about my lights being invisible? Need this text gone!

twoimages.jpg

I don't think you need any interior lights, Vray sun/sky and portals should be fine. Make sure your glass material has "Affect Shadows" checked.

Use Material override (Vray tab>Global switches) with a matte gray shader and exclude the windows. This will get you super fast test renders to test lighting very quickly until you like it. Then add back in your materials and tweak and you should be ready for production.

I hope that helps, unfortunately its hard to help too much without seeing the scene and settings.

That's a lot of money to drop on a piece of software on the basis that other people have produced good stuff with it. Mental Ray can produce incredible stuff too;

http://www.ronenbekerman.com/louis-kahns-esherick-house-3d/

http://marlas.cgsociety.org/art/maya-after-mental-effects-ray-vegetation-mies-van-der-rohe-plants-interior-exterior-composition-sky-sun-farnsworth-house-3d-754315

Why (other than being influenced by peoples work) did you change? What features were you after that you didn't get in mental ray? That top image that you posted could equally have been produced in either render package.

Anyway, presumably you're using VRay RT for the render because that is usually why you get that text in the frame buffer. Why don't you post some images of your render settings, and material settings so that we can see what you're doing?