Jagged highlights problem

dominikmateasik

Hello there,here for ur opinion. I got this scene with robotic hand,trying to make it look all dark and reflective , basically my lights are affecting only specular for the model to show only the highlights. Now the problem is,since there is a lot of tight edges,there are also very thin highlights which makes it hard for AA to show correctly and as a result there are jagged sometimes vanishing parts of the highlighted edge,since the AA got not enough pixels to smooth them out. The pictures are only cut-offs from a bigger one . I tried add max value to AA,doubled the resolution,checked the sub pixel mapping,..didnt quite do anything...only cheat that seems to help is to use Soften filter,these pics already have one(without it its much worse) but only value (size) of 2,cause bigger values tend to destroy the other things into the point its unbearable..well my question is-do u know any other way to fix this or is it just the way it should be and i gotto deal with it?

thanks for any tricks or suggestions:)

three pics in attachments-printscreen of the model,render with marked problem areas,and then the render itself

kukaprintscr.jpg

kukaredlines.jpg

kukaonly.jpg

Hi Dominik,

My answer will be based on the following "From what I've understood, you have the problem is the Edges, you tried increasing the V-ray AA setting in the image simpler and it didn't work, you still get aliasing "

you have couple solution,

01 - Decrease AA, and increase the Subdivs

If your material subdivs are low, then this method will definitely work for you, as i had the some problem before and it clicked for me!

The solution was here in this link from the awesome Fred Ruff> ruffstuffcg.com/journal/de-constructing-vrays-anti-aliasing.html

02 - Changing the Color mapping

As you said it's specular, reflection of the lights on the object.

Basically this will clump the output, as what you have now is a overexposed value greater than 1, that's why it's aliased, with Exponential color mapping you'll get clean reflections equal to 1.

03 - Multi-pass Compositing

This is my favorite method, you can have the specular as a pass and control it's exposure how ever you like.

I invite you to see the test. I've done on a personal project using this technique, works all the time.

Ex. 1

https://vimeo.com/65478915

Ex. 2

Hope this help Dominik or get you some ideas to find a solution for your problem.

Best,

Ismail

hey thanks for the suggestions,the thing is i tried all of the above, i as well found RUFFSTUFF blog and thats where i get the idea of using soften,and even before that i pumped up subdivs as crazy still didnt do a thing...tried sub pixel mapping with clamping as well,same result...i think that the passes u r mentioning wouldnt help as well since they would render with the same (wrong) settings ive tried uptill now, do u think it would make sense to upload part of the scene so u can try it out urself?