How can I replicate this?

Hi there,

first post, be gentle ; )

I have this client, who wants me to make a series of pictures like this one for an advertising campaign:

article-0-12E1AF55000005DC-727_634x636.jpg

50c9a0dd5b8c36fe3b08178b0f654c4c.jpg

00d567959f81a7a37c2586897428dc7c.jpg

I know how to do that in photoshop manually, but it takes too much time. Then i googled around and found out that I can do that by using 3d software and even create videos.

Basically, my task is to create different kinds of shapes from "people / crowds" - on example is a cup of tea from a 90 degree angle, or a world-map in birds-eye.

I am considering buying a 3D suit that allows me to easily create shapes (from vectors?) by using crowds - the problem is there are so many, and I have absolutely no experience so far. I am good in PS and AI though. I have limited experience with sketchup too.

Any advice for that task?

Thanks so much,

George

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hire somebody. If you are going to learn how to do this on your client's dime, then I think you are cheating your client.

This is really late to the party but I think this is really really bad advice. There might be a lot of room for interpretation in this, but I feel that you should ALWAYS be learning. If you only do what you know how to do, you'll be left in the dust while only being able to produce a sub-par product. Push the boundaries, test the limits, and continue to grow and evolve.

Basically do what PK said though... seems like an easy problem to solve. I don't think Andrey's solution is the one for this application.

This is really late to the party but I think this is really really bad advice. There might be a lot of room for interpretation in this, but I feel that you should ALWAYS be learning. If you only do what you know how to do, you'll be left in the dust while only being able to produce a sub-par product. Push the boundaries, test the limits, and continue to grow and evolve.

Basically do what PK said though... seems like an easy problem to solve. I don't think Andrey's solution is the one for this application.

You misunderstood Tom's advice. He's saying it's unfair towards your client when you learn something you had no idea about before taking commercial project from him.

Of course, this depends on measure, everyone learns during the process, but when you don't even have basic idea how to proceed is it right idea to take such job ? It can end up being quite disaster for both parties.

But then again, there's the other side of philosophy to this :- )

"Say yes, then learn how to do it later" Richard Branson (Virgin)

"Fake it till you make it..."

• 2 weeks later...
You misunderstood Tom's advice. He's saying it's unfair towards your client when you learn something you had no idea about before taking commercial project from him.

Of course, this depends on measure, everyone learns during the process, but when you don't even have basic idea how to proceed is it right idea to take such job ? It can end up being quite disaster for both parties.

I tend to lean towards the latter ;)

That being said, there is a balance you have to work within. You can't expect yourself to know everything and decline work based on your current level of expertise (within reason). Like if someone asked for you to model something in Revit and you have never used it before, that's a bit of a stretch to wing it. But say an exterior evening/sunset render was requested and you had only done daytime renders before, that's probably within reason.

Or, you can disclose to your client your current level of experience and say you're up to the challenge. I've done that before and the client agreed, and my work exceeded their expectations and were very happy with my work. I guess it comes down to your ability to learn on the fly and knowing your boundaries.

:)

This is funny. I remember a situation in the 90's where the studio signed up to make an animated squirrel for a children's show, which ended in a bit of disaster in terms of realism. They eventually managed to agree with the producer to settle for a turtle instead. :)