HDRI Setup. What am i doing wrong?

jackpedleham

Hi, Im trying to take some steps into vray and the one thing i just plain cant figure out is hdri's they are far too bright in the viewport and the dome light doesnt light my scene when the texture is applied everything is still pitch black. Why is it so much more complicated to set up HDRI lighting in Vray than in Mental Ray?

Any help would be much appreciated

Jack

I can do that fine. I'm actually using one of peters skies. But it is just completely white when I set it as the viewport background as if the brightness has been bumped up far too much and the lighting in the viewport doesn't work at all in realistic mode the model is still completely black so I can't see it in realtime. It works in the render but I have nothing to judge the brightness in the bviewport its all guesswork until I render.

That's because Peter Guthrie sets the "default" exposure of his HDRi internally to be so high, not sure why, it's definitely outside of industry standard. I think it's because it let's him use them with 1 multiplier (at Dome, and at texture) with correct camera physical settings that were used when he took the mid exposure of these HDRis.

I think he also describes the workaround, which is quite simple, instead of 1/1 (regular/rendertime) multiplier in VrayHDRi material, he sets the regular multiplier to 0.01 for example, and render time multiplier to 100.

This lets you see "normal" exposure in viewport, and 100 will multiply it back to 1 in render.

Exposure multipliers: (Choose either or any combination)

Domelight

VrayHDRiMap

VrayExposure in ExposureTab or VrayExposure in VrayCamera

It's all the same. Multipliers (unless you set 1/1 in texture/light and use photographic values which don't make much sense with IBL lighting unless your HDRi is calibrated as well) are simple potato values. It doesn't matter what the value is.