Trying to copy a reference image, what's missing?

erikpilon

1412080327.jpg

Studio/Institution: Personal
Client: N/A
Genre: Commercial Interior
Software: Maya, Vray, CrazyBump, Photoshop
Description:

Hello guys, this is the first time I'm actually completing an interior, without quitting halfway through and starting another project.

Here is the ORIGINAL IMAGE that I am trying to replicate.

I think the original image might be a 3D render also, which could actually help solve my question:

What am I missing from my render to make it look more realistic?

There has been no render passes done yet to tweek shadows and etc, this image comes out straight from Maya's render.

Thanks for the perspectives!

Edited by erikpilon

Hello guys, this is the first time I'm actually completing an interior, without quitting halfway through and starting another project.

commercial-office-lobby-interior-design-view-02-with-stone.jpg

1412080327.jpg

Here you can see some of the differences.

Your wall materials seem dirtier/blotchy which compromises sharp geometry definition.

Too much sunlight is coming into yours. It's hitting the counter and left wall in an unpleasant way and making the side of the counter brighter that the top. This destroys the effect of the lights above.

Floor has sharper clean reflections in orig.

The ies lights on orig are a lot cleaner and well thought out.

Edited by heni30

A couple of quick thoughts:

-Your colors do not separate that well. It almost looks like the white balance is off, but I think it is just that all of the maps are the same hue.

-The floor is not glossy enough and the map looks weird. I'd use Geometry.

-The opening above the desk doesn't seem to be as tall in the original image.

-Needs more contrast

-Lighting is off. Time of day and generally too much direct light. The original is more of an ambient setup.

-Depth of the room seems off: Too short

-Ditch the chair or move back

-Light fixtures are too large.

The gist in my opinion is that you need to use more geometry, match the room's scale better, and separate your colors. Look closer at the material properties and soften the lighting.

I hope that helps.

Contrast

Material colors

light temperature

those are in my opinion the 2 things to focus on. your image lacks the contrast, light and shade the other rendering has (my guess since the reflections are perfect and the shadows have noise)

To Corey's point, there are some materials that should be white like the ceiling that you are missing.

the temperature of your light sources needs to be carefully chosen. Start with your white materials and exterior lights. then add artificial lighting and potentially add warmth to those.

hope this helps.

Carlos.

i agree to all. Will fix these.

As for the sunlight, I can't seem to find a way to make the sun hit the ground like the image, unless the sun is straight at the top, but as we can see from the image, there are no windows on the ceiling.

If the original image is a 3D render, do you think IES lights were put above the floor to mimic lights coming from the windows?

I think it is just a very glancing angle. Draw a line from the top of the light on the ground (left) to the top of the window in the upper part of the right. That should be the angle of the sun. It is indeed a render you are mimicking and it probably took careful placement to get that spot to appear.

You can try a Direct light to get the angle and look through it as if it were a camera.... wait that is for Max, not sure about Maya... or Vray RT would work. .

• 5 weeks later...