Max crashes all the time

Krisztian Gulyas

I know it is "normal", but lately it crashes almost every day (well, usually every day).

It is getting frustrating. Sometimes it is random, sometimes after I save or open max, in the upper left corner the redo/undo/save/etc buttons disappear (just the Max logo stays there) and then if I try to save again or open a file it crashes, and the worst part is that I dont notice that every time so if I work 10-20 minutes without saving, and notice that those buttons disappeared, I know I'll have to redo everything again. I dont really rely on autosave, sometimes it doesn't save for half an hour even if it's set to save every 5 or 10 minutes.

Do you know what could cause this, or is this just as random as the crashes? I've been using the software (Max 2014) for more than a year now and it started happening in the past few weeks (until now it crashed as many times as it is "supposed to", but not this often).

Thank you!

I wouldn't say that I is any one thing exactly. Not one universal thing anyway. I use 2014 all the time and the only time I lose it is when

I max out my ram or lose my VPN connection for my license.

What has changed on your machine lately? any new updates that could be doing it? Is it always the same scene?

Well i haven't thought about that, the ram. I've been working with many millions of polys lately, and a lot of objects/trees, but still there's the problem that after saving the scene, the buttons disappear, and the next save crashes the software.

I'll check the ram usage while I'm working and see if that's the problem.

I'll come back if I find out more.

Thanks!

If your interface disappear, it may be video card related, maybe the driver, I noticed that my old GTX when was under heavy load it used to do that, after changing to a Quadro I have not had that problem. Could be the drivers or as Corey mentioned your RAM can be running short. Maybe too many others apps running at the same time. If this didn't happen before could be some software update that mess up something or your Hard drive.

Many variable actually, there is also the possibility or the legitimacy of the software.

So I tried many options, but nothing actually worked, but today the whole screen went blank (actually there were a few blurry colors) and after a few seconds it came back to normal. This happened before, and it is something with my graphics card and the driver. It showed a notification, but I set it not to pop up (how smart of me), so I checked that and yes, it is the graphics driver (or my GPU) that is causing the problem.

I'll wait for the next driver, maybe that will solve it.

Thanks for your answers!