Revit> 3DS MAX...

Zdravko Barisic

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone you ask will have a different method. Personally I import them from FBX but I export multiple FBXs out of REVIT so its easier to group them in Max.

You will have to try a few things out to see what works best for you. If you are working on a project that may change several times linking may be better at the cost of bad editability in Max. If the design is set in stone and wont be modified then importing works a whole lot better.

For me, I just redo all materials since I use Vray anyways. It generally has decent multimats setup that simplifies this and I just redo the individual materials but that will depend a lot on the Revit model and may be out of your control.

I link the Revit file into Max, even if it is just to bind it into the Max file on the very next step. Personally, I feel the Revit link has much more options to combine the geometry coming in, such as combine by material, category, family, ignore lights/camera, etc. FBX seems to give you all or nothing. For our own Revit models, combine by category works best for us.

As soon as the Revit geometry is in, all materials are blown away. Revit materials are garbage anyways so it's not a lot of work lost. The only time to keep Revit materails is if you are in Mental Ray. Yet even then, Revit's materials are still pretty lousy.

You don't need Revit software installed on your machine to link the file either. However, from a workflow standpoint if you are off site and working for a client, getting that Revit model might be difficult if they are not willing to let it out to the public. If that is the case, FBX is the way to go. Just link the FBX so you can get the combine options, then bind it into the file.

Why linking the FBX gives you more options than straight importing is only something so backwards that Autodesk can pull it off.

Edited by VelvetElvis

Why linking the FBX gives you more options than straight importing is only something so backwards that Autodesk can pull it off.

no kiding I never understood that, is the same with AutoCAD files, they come more clean if you link then and then just merge the file.

I always export to FBX, then link to Max, our REVIT files are way to big(Electrical, Mechanical,Structural and everything in between) so if we try a straight link to Max it just hang forever.

We link to FBX, then we use a few scripts to clean the mesh and materials, we are also under VRay here so we use "Autodesk Material converter" script. This will do most of the clean for us, then just check for redundancy materials and so on. linking By family or materials seems to work for us most of the time.

I may be the odd man out liking the import rather than linking. Since all the Revit files I have ever rendered are from our office and I made all our Families and Template it probably makes a huge difference. If I let my co-workers have the run of the place it may be a different story. I mostly like the import because I can edit the geometry and don't have to worry about fixing it over and over if there is a change. I just isolate the area that changed and import it and delete the wrong parts and I am back to where I was.

Like I said different people will prefer different workflows and it will depend on the project.

hi. sorry for the noob response, but in general exporting to fbx from revit and then linking to the fbx file is cleaner and nicer than just importing the fbx into max? i've been doing the later and it always gives me issues - flipped normals, bad smoothing, and even when i separate things into layers things just don't seem to be smooth and tidy. i also have conversion issues cuz i use inches in max so my revit models are 1200x bigger, so i have to reset xform and collapse.

I use a bit of a composite of methods from Revit to Max, depending on the type of objects being transferred.

Generally .fbx and .dxf files are the most trouble free for me, but I've used .dwg for irregularly shaped objects, which REvit really doesn't know how to handle

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@Thanks Mamoon

Awesome script, very useful for importing files from Revit or ArchiCAD or whatever

http://daveandgoliath.com/2010/09/25/select-objects-by-material-name/

The script supports wild cards. For example if you have objects with material names like “AC01_GLASS_01″, “AC02_GLASS_02″ etc. you can drop in wild cards at the start and end such as “*GLASS*”. This will select the objects that have “GLASS” in the name of the object’s assigned material.

Thanks David!