The Polar Express

Jon Berntsen

I am fascinated about the mood and clarity they achieved with The Polar Express, given that it's from 2004. I was looking around for information about the software and render engine used, but I cannot find too much other than that it says cinema4D? Really? Was Cinema 4d that versatile back then? Another thing I find interesting is the mood in the movie, and I cannot help thinking about how much of it they did in post.

Do anybody have something interesting to share about the movie? Google gives me little info, but I might be missing something here on a saturday night.

Well ok? Care to elaborate or share something with better similar mood? Remember mood is subjective, so it might be that what you describe as good mood nessecarily isn't what I consider nice mood. How the faces look, how the lips talk, how hair looks, how people move, how they even sound is for me pretty irrelevant. I am trying to figure out different techniques to achieve this kind of mood.

I am not sure if they used Cinema 4D or Maya for that, but it really does not matter, because all the mood that you are talking about, goes in the talented hand of the artist, yes that movie received a lot of criticism because they got stuck in the CG Human uncanny valley, but if nobody try first, there will not be progress in our industry, you try, you fail you try again.

regarding the "mood" I think you should read about traditional lighting, 3 point light setup, color composition and theory, and some photography and video camera work. All this will teach you how to use any tool to achieve the result that you are looking for. I am pretty sure the light rigs on that movie was very complex, not one sun light or HDRI and GI, tonz of baked light, point lights, rims, fill accent and what not. Gnomon website has lots of these info, and maybe even some tutorial from the same people who worked on this movie ;)