Setting vray as the default material

philvanderloo

vray_mat.JPGI followed the instructions to set up my material editor with vray as the default materials but all I got was darker arch & design material swatches.

I've been searching the web for solutions and haven't found anything yet.

I'm in max design 2015, Vray 3.0

Is there an easy way to do this?

Thank You

you have to create a new medit.mat library with default vray materials and put it in here "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMaxDesign\2014 - 64bit\ENU\en-US\defaults\MAX.vray"

depending on what your username/max version you have the above will obviously change

Strange thing Martin, I changed the settings as I illustrated above and nothing happened. Now, 2 days later, all of my materials are vray as I wanted.

Only problem is all of the material slots in the compact material editor are very dark, (as I posted in another thread).

Still waiting for a solution on that.

If it helps anyone else, I'm not sure why I changed the settings in the "Custom UI and defaults switcher", saved the file, closed and re-opened several times and nothing changed. The only thing I can think of is that I was re-opening the same file. But when I opened a fresh new file all of the materials in the compact material editor are defaulting to VRaymtl as I intended.

Edited by philvanderloo
typo