Distributed Rendering and XREFs with Vray 3.0

Marco Manunta

Hi guys,

i've a really big problem. It's the first time i ve got to deal with Xref's. I find myself very happy, they're so comfortable! The only problem is when i make DR with Vray 3.0 ... i m not able to send the Xref scene to my slave. While for the textures i simply check "Transfer asset" in the DR dialog box, this doesn't work for the Xrefs....

how did you manage that in your works ? I strongly need Xrefs, i ve 100 milions polygons for 12 high quality images. And i haven't a ninja computer :)

thank you all! Have a good day!

forget about cloud, this will be a pain for you.

First create a shared folder in your Workstation or PC that can be used as server, then be sure that all the computer have read and write access to that folder, then put all your scene assets in that folders, or should I say, you should have all your textures, Proxies, and scenes inside a shared folder that can be accessed by all the computers of your network. Yes Windows homegroup will work.

No I mean when you use more computers, irradiance map and light cache are computed just on main computer, nodes are not calculating, only final render...

It uses all of them on IR but still just 1 on LC. At least that is what it looks like when I render with my workstation and 1 node, not sure if there is a limit or not.

If you need to quickly setup a scene for DR (and you don't have the time to organize stuff like it should be - a storage server or a NAS) just use an asset collector (or Archive) to copy all assets to a specific shared location folder and redirect with Asset Tracker.

It worked great for me while when my NAS was W.I.P.

Its not as good as a NAS, but its something.