Noise problem with Vray IES Light. Please Help

Hi guys. I need your assistance on this one. I'm trying to create a dusk scene for an architecturual exterior. Here is my situation...

1. I'm using an HDRI as a primary light source.

2. I have setup 10 Instanced Vray Plane lights inside the model.

3. When I try to use a Vray IES Flood Light to accent the exterior of the house, I get noise and what looks like different color mapping where the light hits the structure.

4. When I turn off all the interior lights, I get no noise.

I've attached some pictures so you may see.

I'm using Vray 3.00.03 and Max 2014 SP5

IES Noise.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Mario, have you tried to turn off the "Probabilistic lights" in the Render Setup/Global switches? It is a new feature in VRay 3.0 trying to speed renderings when using lot of lights in scenes, but for me it was causing only a lot of noise. Turning of the probabilistic lights solved the noise problem for me.

There could be a couple things going on with the render.

Make sure you include additional Render elements in your render to diagnose where the noise is coming from. (IE: Reflection, GI, Sample Rate)

Make sure your bumping up your sub divs in your lights and materials so the AA Engine in Vray doesnt have to do the work.

I always work in increments of 2X. Start around 32, then 64, 128, 256. ect. Uncheck Anti Aliasing in the Vray settings. should give you better results.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Dear, dear, dear Thomas, you are in one word my ABSOLUTE HERO OF ALL TIME!!!!!

From now on you will be my God and I shall worship you forever.

Seriously..

I've been cursing VRay 3 since a year or so, because of this nasty noise in lights.. and searched the whole FFing internet, until now... I am sooo happy!

Thank you!

Hi Mario, have you tried to turn off the "Probabilistic lights" in the Render Setup/Global switches? It is a new feature in VRay 3.0 trying to speed renderings when using lot of lights in scenes, but for me it was causing only a lot of noise. Turning of the probabilistic lights solved the noise problem for me.