Alex Roman- From Bits to the Lens

Joe Luckett

Just thought I'd leave this for those who don't already know. The book of The Third & The Seventh by Alex Roman has been re-released and is currently available for pre-order.

I've just ordered mine.

I'm with you...not missing out this time!

The high quality postage makes sense, the previous copies came slightly damaged, including mine. Nothing serious, but when you get such beautiful collector book, you don't want such issues. And it's not even that much costlier to what it was previously,..it's non issue.

Read then let it sit on the shelf. It's not a tutorial/guide so much as it is a showcase of his art in print.

Is it worth it for the tips? Probably not.

Is it worth it for the art? Yes.

I agree with Chris's sentiment. I feel like he marketed the book bit wrongly. It's almost purely just collector's art book to sit on shelf, with very little to no factual information. The written info is far too general (not bad choice, of course he's not gonna write unimportant crap about brute force settings), but also extremely trivialized (he really does only mention some concepts, but not even how he used them, but more like, basic wikipedia entry), like it's almost directed toward non-CG crowd or absolute first-day beginners.

I still think it's absolutely worth to buy, he's the very best legend of whole industry, the new hi-re renders show detail that was lost in animation and it's absolutely incredible and inspiring. And because it's limited run, I would absolutely suggest against missing it. It's beautiful book.

Btw, for those who desperately need "Tips&Tricks", there is almost nothing he didn't show in his few tutorials (two videos on Vimeo, and one written article about the Piano scene). He goes almost completely A-to-Z in those, so it's not like he owes us.