GPU based rendering solution

Hey!

Would it be faster to render a scene on GPU(whichever fastest renderer you choose) or a CPU in terms of image visual quality, I am not interested in technical solutions are used in the process of rendering.

Comparison let's say between GTX580(has the best CUDA cores) and new six cores Xeon.

Like I said any renderer possible to run on 3ds Max or Maya

The fastest rendering is happening on GPU, but there are still some compromises and limitations with rendering on the GPU that do not exist when rendering on CPU. You would have to consider how you will use the render engine to determine if those limitations will get in your way or not. GPU rendering is catching up though. I would suggest looking at Redshift since you mentioned Maya (they are currently working to support Max) and it seems to be the closest in terms of features to CPU renderers.

The Corona Render team just previewed no-compromise interactive rendering on CPU just last week:

https://corona-renderer.com/blog/version-1-0-sneak-peak-interactive-rendering/

I think this tug of war will exist for a while yet, and that means that options like VRay and Thea that give you both CPU and GPU render engines in one package might make more sense in the short term.

It would be used to render complicated game scenes(low polycount, lots of texture maps) or high poly game concepts.

I was thinking to build a 8xGTX580 render PC, since those are super cheap to buy second hand. But don't know how fast it would be.

Renders that I would produce wouldn't need to have high tech features and super realistic since those are for games.

For example here:

Difference is massive in 2 and a half minute gpus render 55 frames while cpu just 2?

I would like to see the best cpu render against best gpu render comparison, same project and very similar settings.

Edited by charlienero

It would be used to render complicated game scenes(low polycount, lots of texture maps) or high poly game concepts.

I was thinking to build a 8xGTX580 render PC, since those are super cheap to buy second hand. But don't know how fast it would be.

Renders that I would produce wouldn't need to have high tech features and super realistic since those are for games.

QUOTE]

When I was looking into it a while back, i thought I read that you could only use as much memory as your smallest card.. in your case 1.5gb.. So all your scenes need to be less than that size.. I dont think i have ever had a scene that small, mine always use at least 2gb to render.

I didnt think a scene could be split, ie 2x 2gb cards is still only 2gb rather than 4gb.

That is true. Much like with CPU render nodes, with GPU rendering distributed to multiple cards, it is pretty much "each card for itself".

If it cannot fit 100% of the scene's geometry & textures / assets + have room for calculations etc in its VRAM, it is left out of the equation.

VRAM is not additive, even if you have dual GPU cards that claim so:

eg. Titan Z is advertised as a 12GB card - it is not. It is a 2x 6GB card.

GTX 690 says its a 4GB card - it is not, it is a 2x 2GB card, limited to scenes that need less than 2GB.

Same with a 7990 being a 2x3GB card, a 295x2 being a 2x4GB card etc.

GPGPU rendering is not PCIe limited. The rate at which data flows to and from the card is not that critical - a PCIe 1x bus provides more than enough bandwidth. Thus - taking queues from GPU Mining rigs, there are ways you can built fully functioning GPGPU rendering machines with 5-6 GPUs on plain Z77/87 etc boards using powered PCIe 1x -> 16x risers. You will need a custom case (or an open - air "mining" jig/rig) to support them, and it won't look very professional, but will do the job just fine.

If you want more than 4GPUs enclosed in a case, then you might want to consider a Tyan FTxxx GPGPU server case, like the one used in my blog post from June 2013.

http://pcfoo.com/2013/06/cg-workstation-baby-titan/

You can do the "math" and replace GTX Titan boards with whatever will suit your needs.

970s would be great value atm, and even greater once the 8GB models launch.