help creating photorealistic carpet..?

Coolhand78

how can i go about creating carpet that looks as good as bertrands...?

i've tried different bumps/displacements, both maps and bercon noise i'm using falloffs for the diffuse and i'm quite happy with that aspect, but the problem i'm facing is getting the bump/displacement to look good up close...?

5462722182_cb358ef80f_s.jpgTribeca Loft by BBB3viz

what do you guys suggest?

oh, 3ds max 2014, vray 2.4 :cool:

Edited by Coolhand78

Bertrand Bennoit is obviously a special artist with a great sensitivity to materials... I don't know that displacement would be part of this. It's a really tight nap. My best guess would be that he used high resolution, really sharp maps for bump, ref, spec, glossiness, ect... I would also guess that he used above average sampling and really nice lighting.

Have you tried creating a Blend Material? I've had great luck using blends for leather. Check this out: http://viscorbel.com/rusty-painted-metal-material-vray/ It's for a rusted metal, but if you rethink it for the high and low sections of your carpet I bet you could achieve some nice results.

For close up work I've had reasonable results using Max's Hair and Fur, (as opposed to VrayFur) because you can turn it into a mesh then turn that into a proxy to avoid killing your performance. I've actually found that this can process quicker than an elaborate displacement that just doesn't seem to look as realistic (up close anyway).

For carpet tiles you can get a good approximation using just bump and or displacement by using CG-Source Floor generator and Multi-texture, the subtle varience in Gamma / Hue / Saturation from tile to tile gives a fairly convincing rendition too.

In my experience though, good carpet is very difficult without throwing lot's of resources at it, it'll always end up a bit of a compromise.

I think this is a good tutorial for a shag style rug, but your example is far too groomed for that. I'm not sure I'd spend too much time experimenting for this one. In the future though...

good point, i thought this, but it's worth exploring all the same, if it's not working out then I'll abandon it...

I was kind of hoping I'd be able to get there with vraydisplacement and a good texture...

In some respects a convincing carpet (other than a deep shag type) is less about the detail of the individual threads or pile than the way light plays off the surface. Usually a carpet has a direction that the nap (or pile) runs and once it's been walked on or encountered a bit of traffic this then disturbs that direction with swirls and scuffs. In the case of commercial carpet tiles this is also where the chequerboard type visual effect becomes obvious, as unless all of the carpet tiles are laid in the same direction each will pick up and reflect light differently from its neighbour depending on the direction of that pile.

So in order to replicate that sort of play of light, you're right, you'd need to layer up a blend of reflectivity and tones, probably both in the bump / displacement as well in as in the diffuse or a masked blend of similar carpet materials.

tmp.jpg

This is one of the Hair and Fur style carpets I did easily and quickly, which I only did as my efforts at displacement were looking worse and were just taking too much trial and error whilst all the time killing render times.

• 3 weeks later...

OK I had a few hours to kick around my carpets, I've been due to revisit this as I feel I've been accepting too lower quality results in my work lately.

I had to forget about using procedurals in order to get better results with displacement but after creating a few maps I have got two simple shaders now, one for plain colours and one for bitmaps, Both need just one input ( a colour or a bitmap) to work.

Colour:

Disp-02.jpg

Bitmap:

Disp-03.jpg

and this is the old hair and Fur mesh proxy mentioned above, the advantage of this is that it's just a flat colour shader on it and that it renders nearly 30% faster on this small test scene.

H_F_Proxy-01.jpg

I feel that there is still some improvements to be had and am thinking that falloff blend maps might be the key.

Back to the drawing board.....

Edited by CliveG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...