indirect lighting future

SgWRX

hello, so with max 2015 there's a new mentalray CPU + GI-GPU rendering script. i've tried it and it seems pretty cool and quick in comparison to final gather.

lately i've been learning to control IBL with HDRI images and love the renders i get with it.

since iray and GPU rendering, i've thought of doing indirect only with GPU but until 2015 it's not been available.

so what's the future? seems like a waste to use only GPU or CPU when the combined strength could over throw the emperor and we could rule the galaxy... er, i mean CPU and GPU could be better overall?

You are inline with our thinking at the studio I work for. We have been discussing this with regard to Vray. It seems they are working to combine the best of both worlds only there, the GPU is being used to control the Image Sampling. Vray already has a method for GI that is a lot faster than Mental so where they are looking to improve speed is in the Anti-Aliasing where a high contrast between pixels most often defines an edge and forces a focusing of the samples about the scene.

I really like where things are going and look forward to a faster, more physically accurate, and altogether more realistic rendering. We all know how to make a better render, we just downplay these aspects to improve our render time. It's a balance.