change backburner manager

cloudbreak

Hi all - great forums.

Just wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to transfer a backburner job from one manager to another? I have a small render farm setup and would like to give each machine a break - ideally turning one off a night rather than them all being on 24/7 but obviously the one which is acting as the manager can't go offline otherwise all the render jobs will stop. I know I could just start a manager on another machine and send the job to that one but I have lots queued up already and don't want to delete tham and then have to set them all back up in Max and resubmit them to another manager.

Not sure it's possible but if anyone knows otherwise I'd love to know.

Cheers

Jonty

There isn't any way I know of to move a job from one manager to another.

Why are you so concerned about giving "a machine a break"? Are you really running jobs 24/7 regularly? I take it you are running your manager on a machine which is also running server (and therefore rendering)? I've never felt awesome about running both manager and server on the same machine because I don't want the process of rendering to kill the manager so I run manager on a much less powerful computer. If you did something like that you could shut down a render server or two at night and just leave the manager running.

Cheers for the reply Matt.

Just wanted to know if there was any way of transferring jobs that have already been submitted if the PC goes down or needs a reboot etc. I am at the moment running jobs 24/7 yes as the job I'm currently on requires about 20,000 frames to be rendered so they are all on continuously. A few of them are only Dell precision desktops though which aren't really supposed to be on for weeks on end so ideally I'd switch one or two off overnight just to cool down etc.

No worries - I just wondered if anyone had successfully done it.

Cheers

If you want to send the files to a different manager you could copy the files over from one machine to another when you shut down 1 machine and run the manager on another.

I have PC's running 24/7 and it has no effect on the machines. If you just want give the machines a chance to cool down you could set the week schedule for the machines so they stop rendering for a period of time and then start up again. When your machines stop rendering they will cool down. You should have your manager running on a machine thats not rendering. My render server is on 24/7 365 days a year. It nothing special as a machine.

You are probably being a bit over cautious with your machines. There is no reason a Dell precision desktop can't stay on all the time. I've definitely had Dell precision desktops running for weeks with no negative impact on the machines