Hello! We put together 100 render nodes with dual xeons x5660 and 24 Gb or Ram

Hey Guys,

I just subscribed on this forum and I saw that you are talking about good render nodes and computer configurations.

I would like to know if any of you would be interested in reviewing our system.

Please PM me, I can offer a few hundred extra credits to render your projects and

put our system to work.

cgifarm.com is the new platform which we put together. If you have some free

time, please pay us a visit and let me know about your opinion on the job that

we've done so far.

I'm a noob when it comes to cloud rendering but I've done a test on your farm with the cost estimator tool.

I have a kitchen scene that takes 3 hours to render per frame on my machine. If I wanted to make a 1 min fly-tru. That would mean I need to render 1800 frames. Your estimator tells me it's gonna cost 33 690 credits aka 33 690$ (in about 5h22 mins total render time). Is that correct. For me it seems a bit steep but maybe i'm under-estimating the task. Thanks

i figured philippe must have got it wrong, but yes, it does seem a little OTT. I put a 45 mins frametime (which is typical for a 1080p frame for me on a i7 3930) and a minute of frames would cost me $12k. Ive not used an online farm before but this does not seem to correlate with my expectations.

Hi, thanks again for looking into this.. you are right, the calculator has a flaw in calculating intel CPU's.. we are testing to see if it's all of them, or the particular 3930 you've mentioned.

For a scene like Philippe described, it should be around 1500 points to render, and we are offering very good discounts on bigger package plans.

If anyone is interested to test the backend, I can add like $100 credits into your account, just send me a PM.

Using the exact same values.

Your costs: 17,486.29 credits

A competitor's cost: 2,652.55 credits

You guys are way on the high end of prices.

Using the Xeon W5590 as a random test and using exact same values again.

Your credits required: 2,690.59

Competitor: 463.35

You are still much more expensive.

Hi Scott, as I stated... we are having some issues with the calculator now, which we are trying to fix ASAP. We are charging 2 credits per Ghz/h, which is 2 cents if you are buying a package with no discounts on it. The competitors are asking for 3-4 euro cents / Ghz/h .

It's hard to imagine the difference, you need calculate it by hand to see it now.. but we are trying to fix that calculator... I assure you that's going to be cost effective.

Alex

Edit -------

We found the problem, a type inside the caculator script, 0.2 / Ghz instead of 0.02 .. So the price was 10 times higher... Sorry about that... Now the right version is online

Edited by gradeaalexandru