Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Colour differences between different programs. Help needed.

Name
    Jeff Mottle
    Forum Username
    Jeff Mottle

Canada

Default Re: Colour differences between different programs. Help needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Buckley View Post
    The part I don't understand is when you say the profile I created is fine so I don't need to clamp the display to Adobe RGB? Why would I clamp to aRGB once I've created the profile anyway? or did you mean before I created the profile?
    Ok, so your display from what I understand has a setting where you can select AdobeRGB, sRGB or a custom profile. If not, don't worry about everything above.

Out of the box the intent of the manufacturers is that you don't need to calibrate anything and you just switch to AdobeRGB or sRGB and you're done. The reality is that if you are trying to even remotely have accurate color you can't do that. So let's assume the native display has this really large color gamut. If you switch to the on screen setting for sRGB (which would be a much smaller color space) then it would clamp the colors of the display to only output the sRGB gamut (less saturated colors). You would then calibrate your display to the Gamma 2.2/D65 to the known state.

Really the only thing those settings do it dumb down the display to a smaller output of color. Setting the on screen menu option to sRGB would effectively be like overpaying for a cheap sRGB native capable display. If you want a smaller color space, you'd be better off buying a cheaper display, than to buy one with all this rich color and then just throwing it out anyway.

Better?

Name
    Juraj Talcik
    Forum Username
    RyderSK

Slovakia

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mottle View Post

Really the only thing those settings do it dumb down the display to a smaller output of color. Setting the on screen menu option to sRGB would effectively be like overpaying for a cheap sRGB native capable display. If you want a smaller color space, you'd be better off buying a cheaper display, than to buy one with all this rich color and then just throwing it out anyway.
    I would disagree with this assumption. Reading up a lot of TFT Central reviews (and I consider these guys to be the absolute benchmark of LCD displays review on the internet, there is nothing even remotely close), the emulation mode of sRGB on high-end pro-grade monitors, which simply are widegamut because the technology in them supports it, not necessary because it's intended color space to be used in, is still better than lesser monitors who support only up to sRGB because the technology isn't there. Based up on few reviews of top panels, the emulated sRGB is often on par or better than what non-wide gamut monitors offer. It's not hindrance or over-paying as there isn't alternative to it.

Lot of people aren't buying 1000+ euro monitors to get widegamut, that's simply there in package, some might prefer 14bit lut support, some the accuracy, contrast, overall build quality etc. There is nothing in between on market, there are no high-quality displays without widegamut, as the other pro segment focuses on gamers or media, with low latency, geek tech like high frequency synchronization ( nvidia g-sync,async,etc...) but little color accuracy (and rarely ah-ips with gb-led, more like novel ah-pva panels with rich contrast and pure blacks or just latest TN iteration)

With major amount of content moving purely to web (less then 5perc. of my images end up being printed), it makes little sense for me for example to even maintain pipeline that the end-user will benefit none from. That doesn't mean I don't have use for high-quality display, but I have no use for wide-gamut.

There are some high-end photographers who do just the same. I found your statement to be bit black and white.
    Last edited by RyderSK; October 31st, 2014 at 12:09 PM.
    talcikdemovicova.com

Name
    Dave Buckley
    Forum Username
    Dave Buckley

United Kingdom

Interesting, i'd say less than 5pc of my images ONLY end up on the web. 95+ percent of them are printed in brochures, used on billboards around the development, used as full sized facade prints, used as backlit prints in show rooms etc. its very these days that we solely do images for web. They have so many other uses. Hence the reason we're always rendering at 6k pixels and above.

So going back to comment about not worrying too much about what the client sees. Ultimately the person i need to be correct for is the person viewing it at the end. The consumer. I have numerous discussions about differences in viewing environments with clients, and ultimately we end up agreeing with the printer rather than the client. These days the clients are very often reviewing images on their phones/tablets/cheap laptops so its almost always impossible to stay in sync with the client.

Name
    Juraj Talcik
    Forum Username
    RyderSK

Slovakia

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Buckley View Post
    These days the clients are very often reviewing images on their phones/tablets/cheap laptops so its almost always impossible to stay in sync with the client.
    Yes this is the case for me, and since these devices are at best some nice IPS panels with crunched colors (like Apple Cinema) and at worst calculator level TN panels (whatever laptop they're on), for me pure sRGB pipeline make sense. But now I understand where you're coming from and it does make sense for you to maintain pure aRGB if it goes directly to printer.

But I also give them 16bit tiffs with no color profile in case they go to print, but this is something purely for the print people to manage, the architects/developers/whoever is boss gets nice sRGB jpeg to see only.

Just out of curiousity, you don't have this standardized in your studio ?

I am jealous of those prints..I love print. But what can I do :- )
    Last edited by RyderSK; October 31st, 2014 at 02:33 PM.
    talcikdemovicova.com

Name
    Jeff Mottle
    Forum Username
    Jeff Mottle

Canada

If color is more critical, you can try sending your images in a PDF document rather than the image on it's own, at least for the initial sign off. Acrobat is color managed so it will respect your embeded profile. It's not going to fix a clients monitor if it's totally out of wack, but it's better than having them view it in a non-color managed environment.

Also I ran into this the other day http://xritephoto.com/colortrue It's a color managed viewer for iOS. Pretty cool I thought.

Name
    Dave Buckley
    Forum Username
    Dave Buckley

United Kingdom

I always send my images in a pdf for the sole reason its a colour managed format. But thats assuming acrobat is their pdf viewer of choice. We rarely send jpegs. The only time we issue individual image files is once the images are signed off. We then issue 8-bit jpg (srgb) and 16 bit tiffs

Name
    inpow watir
    Forum Username
    inpowwatir

Love this thread, interesting discussion really!

Name
    Dave Buckley
    Forum Username
    Dave Buckley

United Kingdom

Yeh I'll get back to this thread when I can properly, just been swamped with more projects/deadlines as per usual

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread Information