MaxDesign2015, how to select objects by layer

Justin Hunt

It should. It does for me anyway... The objects are the children of the layer... The layer may need to be collapsed to work properly.

I'm not a fan of the new layer manager as I have mentioned in other posts, but this does work. When it doesn't, I have had to go to Tools>Scene Explorer Manager> Delete the Layer Manager profile and relaunch the Layer Manager.

But if you found something else that works, my method is not important.

Yeah, it's a total pain. How hard would it have been to integrate the add, select and delete buttons from the toolbar into the new layer manager? Instead I find myself jumping between the two all the time. Apart from the nested layers function, a huge waste of time IMO. Unless you're a rigger/animator, in which case you're probably using Maya anyway.

• 7 months later...

Dumb question. How do you select multiple layers in the layer explorer and then select all objects on both layers?

The button to "select objects on layer" is located on the layers toolbar, but you can only select one layer in the pull down...

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Need to use the pop-up layer Explorer rather than the toolbar. Shift+select your layers then right click, select child nodes.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk