How do you pull the all nighters?

Tim Nelson

i've done a shed load of all nighter in my office, but not in a good couple of years now.

i must admit i quite enjoy them. wait till all the other workers go home, then as you say, crank up the music, order a pizza (on the firm of course) and chill out.

i'm a heavey coffee drinker, so a good supply of strong fresh stuff usually keeps me going. no phones going, no hasstle of work m8's. and then it's nice to see the sun comming up in the morning and go home just as ur work m8's are turning up for another day :)

Here's what I do:

Hour 1:Put the headphones on and hum along happily as the model starts to come together.

Hour 2:Realise there's a discrepancy on the side elevation and start modelling from scratch.

Hour 5:Start thinking about all the normal people who are sleeping now.

Hour 8:Start the render and shuffle about the house like the grumpiest b*****d you've ever seen.

Hour 10: Sit and watch the render like it'll go faster and fall asleep with the back of my head almost touching my back.

Well... I must be a bat, used living at night... I don't have any problems with it... but I don't do it often anymore! (luckily!!!)

just one tip to get through the nigth: WORK! (and focus on finishing, not on staying on the job!)

- Heavy music might help, be sure that the speed increases during the disc... Try "In blue" or "The Dome Event" by Klaus Schulze ;-)) Or try the Rammies (=Rammstein)

- Very strong tea (a pint an hour at least!)

- A good alarm to check every 30min if the render has finished allready ;-p

- A checklist of the necessary steps so you don't get lost into details...

rgds

nisus

1. Take one standard mug/cup.

2. Then add three tea bags.

3. Stir well with boiling water, for between 30 seconds and a minute.

4. Spoon in to the tea four or five spoons of suger.

5. Finally add milk to complete the brew.

Sleep won't be a problem after you've finished off one of these bad boys, although it should probably come with some sort of health warning!

1. Pepsi

2. mountain Dew

3. Just get used to not sleeping at all

The last 2 months I have pulled 6 all nighters and 2 straight weeks of 7am to 3-4 am. Not that I am happy about it, but it what was needed to finish the jobs.

My only problem now is tring to fall asleep at a normal hour again..

Mike

Falling asleep is no problem here...! I'm so tired that when I sit down for 5 minutes I sleep...

it's even worse when I lay down... 30-90seconds before I sleep...

Downfall is: I cannot see ANY television series at all... lucky part: I don't have a television (not for 15years...)

rgds

nisus

i used to crank out all nighters like no tomorrow, for both work and school. now i don't havevn't done one in a couple of years, and don't plan on doing one unless i am working on my own stuff, or my own firm. for school, they are necessary, for work, deadlines can be moved.

anyway, staying up all night.... i am a heavy coffee drinker. i start there, and crank on some good music. something you can groove to. something that makes your head bounce. when my stomach says no more coffee, i switch to mt dew. drink about 4 cans of that about 2-3 in the morning, and you are good to go until about 9-10 the next morning. by then your tired, and don't give a crap. then you do what ever iot was you had to stay up all night for, go home, fall asleep, and think to yourself that this is a bunch of s**t, and you don't need it. then you get up the next day and do it over again.

i find that spalshing water on my face every couple of hours helps also.

what not to do...

surf the web/check msg boards, eat anything to heavy, tell yourself that you are going to take a quick nap, take you time at the beginning because you say to yourself that you have all night, don't be mad, stay positive. being mad zaps valuable energy.

ther used to be a story that went around our architecture school about one of the TA's. it was about him fallig asleep while pulling an all nighter. conking out while he was waiting for model pieces to dry, and as a result, glueing his eyelid shut. ...an urban legend for sure, but we got a kick out of it.

I pulled my share of them the last four years of architecture school. Usually slept about an hour or two a day, usually around noon. Back then it was coffee, nicotine and very loud music on the headphones for me. These days, we just move deadlines. Anyone who says school is easier than the real world, has never been outside of school.

I used to pull all nighters so often that it was affecting my family life. I finally had a serious conversation with my employer, as well as backed off of the side jobs I was taking, and things are a lot better. Now I average one all nighter every month or so, plus a really late night mixed in there somewhere. I'm a lot happier and healthier now. If you are pulling all nighters more frequently than you are comfortable with, you may want to consider how you respond to clients demands. After all, the more you go along with unreasonable requests, the more they will request it of you.

As far as how to stay sharp during those times that you just can't get out of, well the best advice is to get good sleep on the other nights. Besides the chemical enhacemnts that have been suggested, you could try some push ups, or a brisk walk on a cold night. (Does it ever get cold in Phoenix?)

(Does it ever get cold in Phoenix?)

Sure! Sometimes it gets as cold as the low thirties!!!(farenheight) No, Phoenix isn't really cold per se, but right now its absolutely gorgeous! I can leave the windows open most of the time until my wife says its too cold. But its great for keeping my office cool since its always the hottest room in the house.

We have seen snow here in the past, but it never sticks. But its weather like this that makes the summers bearable.

You bring up a good point though about work & family life. I've been doing my fair share of working really late the past couple weeks and has been happening off & on since I got married & started my own business here at home. I have to admit it doesn't really help the marriage out too much. Although it is nice to have enough money in the bank usually to not fight about THAT, we usually end up arguing about how much I work & that to me is just as bad. I try very hard to be balanced in it though, and I do take time out for more important things, namely my regular religious activities. Those to me always come first and I don't have a problem dropping everything to do those. Its just the nights where we don't have any special plans that I find myself working usually and sometimes I get so tired of it I want to just quit working & go play!

BUT, on the other hand, I LOVE working for myself, and it allows me greater flexibility with my schedule than ever before. Sometimes we can just take off in the middle of the week and go out of town for a couple of days & its times like that, that really make me love this type of job.

Its all a trade off and really comes down to how you manage your time I think. I know for certain that I spend a lot of time here and at the vray forums when I really don't have to. But I love coming here and seeing whats going on in the rest of the world - its really my only connection to the 'outside' since I work here at home.

My wife has been home off work + sick all week and I thought it would be nice for her to have me here to help her out & get her food & stuff, but I think it just makes her feel even more lonely since I am also working all day & night this week. I try but I can't just drop everything....Maybe I am venting too much now...

To Frances: you have 2 children right? One of them a newborn? Plus a husband! What kind of advice to you have for us? You must have some really good thoughts!

*shall i join the party..

*here's a version from me

1. log-in to yahoo messenger..for the sake of launchcast radio, tune in to heavy metal or whatever depend on my mood is...it's good if nobody in the hauz....i can work better with loud music!!!

2. drink a can or two of cola..pepsi is the best!! it brings me up to 7am!!

3. lights-off!!

4. most impt...not full!! it makes me sleepy if im full!!