Seagate 8TB Nas - STBM8000200 ?

Hi all

I'm in need of a low budget NAS for centralised all in one file server for maximum 5 client devices. This will also be used for render assets as well as raw render output, editing etc.

With a focus on low budget, low power, small compact, quiet operation, I would love to get a Synology DS214+ but locally just the enclosure is more expensive than Seagate and WD WITH drives.

What you guys think of this one?

http://www.seagate.com/em/en/externa...age-2-bay-nas/

The one with 8TB: STBN8000200

Or perhaps the WD My Cloud EX2 8TB version (slightly more expensive than Seagate)

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1180

Any other suggestions in the same price range?

If you will use this NAS to storage library of textures and objects/proxies, plus render outputs and project files that will be working on directly at the same time by 5 users; I don't think a NAS storage device will be the best option. I would rather recommend build a small server machine, with old computer parts or build something small, that will give you better performance writing and reading hard drives. The CPU and Memory on those NAS storage drive are small, enough to make a good NAS system but not enough to be a server.

Maybe Dimitri may jump in and clarify this, but for my experience, using a NAS for all these task it create a big bottleneck in your production pipeline.

I use NAS storage only for backup and archive project folders that are not in use. For working files, render outputs, proxies textures and all that, I have a small server, old Q660 with RAID 5, for my freelancing this is enough, at the office that I work is similar concept but way more robust NAS and servers.

my two cents.

In the past I've used an ancient pc with 3 external USB2 drives. That use to work fine speed wise. The problem is that its 3 drives and I have to have a workstation switched on all the time just to access it. Files all over the place etc etc Also, backing up from 3 drives is a pain.

I have limited space and need to worry about power requirements. Also, I don't like hundreds of cables all over the place.