SketchUP to 3DS Max with Maxwell Render and Materials not to correct scale

michaelsmith1

I have a problem with importing a model that I have created in Sketchup into 3DS Max to render with Maxwell Render. I have the units of my model set up as follows:

units.PNGunits.PNG

The units for sketchup are also in mm.

When I import the .skp file using the 3DS max import option and render the file the materials do not scale properly:

error 1.jpg

If i create a geometry in max and apply the same material, the material is to scale as shown here with a box:

error 2.jpg

One solution for a small plane like that in my sketchup model is to go into sketchup and export the model as a MXS and them import it as a MXS file type in max. When i apply the same material as in the earlier images, the Material is now to the correct scale as shown here (again next to a box created in max):

error 3.jpg

This workflow from sketchup to max is a bit tedious and does NOT work for more complex models and lots of geometry is missing.

So my question is this, How can i import sketchup models into Max and have the materials map properly?

Sketchup to max works just fine if your model is built right.

You've not mentioned your sketchup export settings? What are your units set to there? I've never had a problem bringing in .3DS files from Sketchup, unless they have been shoddy from a third party models to begin with.

In the past I've applied a box UVW map to everything upon import, is that completely out of the question?

If I export a 3ds from sketchup and have the export units set to mm, I still get the same problem as when I try and import a sketchup file into3ds Max.

The model is quite complex and having to apply a UV map to everything will be quite time consuming.

I am also wanting to explore the option of being able to merge geometry when importing into max so that if I make a change to the sketchup model, I can reflect this in the 3ds Max file. If i do this, will I have to re apply the UV map to every single object again? (forgive me but I am a bit of a novice on 3DS Max).

I will give this a try once I figure out how to do it, why the dimension 24.5?

It's the exact (not approximate) conversion factor between mm and inches. Sorry, my original post contained a typo, it was meant to read 25.4

If you were working in cm, it would be 2.54, and so on. Just keep shifting the decimal whichever way you need to.

Edited by Macker