Chris MacDonald

1416409051.jpg

Studio/Institution: Chris MacDonald
Client: none
Genre: Industrial Interior
Software: Sketchup, 3DS Max, Vray, Photoshop
Description:

Hey guys/girls,

Saw this refurbishment on Dezeen a little while back and really loved the mix of old and new, and thought it might be nice to (with some artistic licence) recreate it in 3D.

I shall be posting updates as and when I have them, as it's in my spare time...

oh wow the space is a lot bigger in the photos that I was picturing with your sketch up model :p

loos like an interesting project, I would love to see how it progress.

It is interesting that metal column and beam are not aligned to the roof slop or the concrete beam at the back...

Oh BTW that metal beam is resting in top or the concrete beam in the back, in your model seems like it is penetrating.

Test 02.jpg

Yep, but like I said I shall be using some artistic licence. I'm not trying to create a carbon copy, just wanna get the vibe of an old building that's been refurbished. Just for info, the Sketchup model is basically going to be entirely re-modelled in 3DS max - I'm just using it as a kind of base to trace over really.

I haven't entirely decided what I want to fill the space with yet. I could just make it an office like in the photos, or I could make it an art/artists/photographic studio, etc? Any ideas? I feel like that far corner could be a kitchen, possibly divided from the rest of the room by a big curtain on a track.

Edited by Macker

I'm thinking a modest mezzanine might create spatial interest if in keeping with the existing detailing. The only thing that I find lacking is a lack of windows. Would you want to share the .skp file to give it a closer study?

I would venture to say you aren't married with kids.

I like the bits of debris and dirt around the rooflight edges. It's looking good.

Any plans to expand this to include the rest of the space shown on Dezeen eventually? That dark corridor to the side of the main room looks great in contrast.

With the splashes of white paint on the floor - maybe you could paint a larger texture mapped over the entire floor area (or repeating once or twice) so that the splashes aren't suddenly cropped at the edge of each board.

Also, I know you're applying artistic license with the levels but I'd agree with Francisco that the steel to concrete beam interface as you have it stands out a bit. If you threw some endplates on the steels with bolt heads (as they would be anchored into the concrete beam) then it would look more plausible.

It's looking good. A couple of things stand out. The separation of the wood planks is too perfect and a little too wide. It looks like just straight black lines. The contrast of the curtain in back looks a little washed out compared to the tonality of things around it.