Varying Animation Frame Render Times

Michael J. Brown

Is there any reason why the animation frame rates of a simple scene (interior with one vray plane light + a vray sun/sky) whose GI solutions where pre-calculated and saved (Irradiance Map set to multi-frame incremental every 5th frame during pre-calc) would vary by as much as 6X?

Most of my frames are rendering out in just under 2min/ea. But it seems every 5th frame takes as long as 12 minutes to grind through. Even the 6th frames are taking double the normal 2min frame rate. What gives?

I'm pulling "from file" both my light cache and irradiance maps. So i'm baffled as to why there is such variance in frame rates.:confused:

I'd post my general scene specs along with this question, except that I am currently in the midst of running the animation.

Thanks!

Does it slow down at any particular object or material? Could be worth keeping an eye on memory/CPU usage as well.

No. It creeps through the entire scene with no discernible change in pace. Materials with zero reflection and glossiness take just as long to plow through as those with very high reflection & glossiness.