Flickering in trees

Visual Pieces

Hello,

Im having problems with flickering in trees.

Attached are my settings, and here is the video: https://www.mediafire.com/?479cijrqzs2e2sc

The filtering for bitmaps of leaves are set to none.

Units: meters/meters.

Avg. task time: 4:04 on 3770k. (Quarter of image, only trees, the whole frame with all elements should be 25/30 min)

3ds max 2012 x64, Vray 2.30.

Also i have tried with IRR Medium 50/25, and the DMC image Sampler in 1/16, with the same results...

What need to change to avoid flickering? (at reasonable rendering times)

Thanks in advance!

settings.jpg

I think that simply your Irradiance settings are very low. They need to be higher to avoid flickering. It may also need to be calculated at a more frequent Nth.

Try Medium with 70/40 or 90/60 - maybe set to medium and then custom to use -5 and -2 for your min max.

You can save time by changing your filtering to Area for the rest of the image, but quality takes more time.

Also, you can denoise your reflection pass (usually the culprit - especially the blue channel) in post as well as adding a motion blur like Real Smart in post to hide the majority of it.

To my understanding you should not disable aintialising on the textures if you will do an animation. Those anitalising controls and blurry values are designed specifically to help with animation flickening. Also it is not recommended to use any hard Antialising on the image, Area or just not antialising at all work best.

Also is not common in Archviz, I don't know why, but it is recommended to add some motion blur pas in your animation, you should render a velocity pass and add some motion blur to your image to avoid those annoying jitters of thin or small objects.

You IRR values are rather low for animation, if you see the color threshold and Normal Thresholds of med animation preset are 0.3 and 0.2 respectiblely, this with a height values in samples and interpolation will help to smooth out the GI flick/Noise that shows in your animation now.

As Corey mentioned for better quality you need to pay with rendering time, but a good'old render and try can help you to reach an acceptable balance quality/ speed.

Cheers.

all started here, when I try the cleaner script

http://forums.cgarchitect.com/77322-cleaner-script-texture-filtering-reduces-50-rendering-time-but-change-colors.html

after this, my animations were with pyramidal filtering in opacity maps, and I have a few flickering, but acceptable, with medium settings.

When you disable the pyramidal filtering, rendering times are aprox. 50% less.

So, I'm trying to find a point in the middle.

I will apreciate any other help...

thanks

I'm trying IRR Medium with 70/40, maintaining the DMC image Sampler in 1-8, aaagggrrrr, the same flickering! and times are 3x!!

this is a headache

I will definitely come back to put pyramidal filtering in opacity maps!

Will test 30 frames this way and post settings and video.

thanks

Try this, it will definitely make the render times longer but it's worth a try;

Adaptive DMC = Min 2 Max 6

Untick Use DMC and set Clr Thresh to 0.003

Irrad Map -3, -1 and render every frame not every nth frame and create the Pre calcs with Pre-Animation and render using the Render Animation Modes. Tick Use Camera Path

LC - Subdivs = 2000, Scale Screen, tick Pre Filter and tick Use LC for glossy rays. Tick Use Camera Path

DMC Sampler - Adaptive Amount = 0.8, Noise Threshold = 0.003

Change the blur on your texture map to 1.0

If you have glossy reflection set the sub divs to 12 to 18 or above but not too much.

How are you lighting you scene ? Is it with a Dome light ? I tend to avoid this due to higher render times and noiser results. Whatever light you use it is worth increasing the shadow sub divs - I would suggest initially doubling it.

Hope this helps.