Uploaded my 2014 work to my website.

Tommy L

Tom, they look great, of course.

The only thing I would say is that maybe they need to be edited down in number.

When you look at too many images, the initial "Wow!" response starts to get diluted; especially when looking at the same type of spaces.

C'mon, how about a "The making of " for one of these puppies..............?

Edited by heni30

Thanks for the responses!

@ George, I thought it was a lot too, so I took down everything that was pre-2014. Except for two (the cigarette shot and the bar shot with DOF).

@ Komyali, that was a render for an interior design company here in Chicago. Its a public circulation space in a hotel. So no, its not my design.

It's looking good but I just don't understand your lighting - all your images look artificially lit (especially spaces with huge window openings where it seems like you don't have any light coming from the outside, from the sky) and they all are missing shadows making the furniture look like it's floating above ground (except for the second pub image where the stools are in fact floating)

It's looking good but I just don't understand your lighting - all your images look artificially lit (especially spaces with huge window openings where it seems like you don't have any light coming from the outside, from the sky) and they all are missing shadows making the furniture look like it's floating above ground (except for the second pub image where the stools are in fact floating)

You got me bang to rights on the floating stools.... not sure about the rest though.

I dont want to be rude, but how the f... did you write comment from afganistan, didnt americans and russians destroy your country, I though all aafgan educated people went to america when russia attack, or you are using fake IP? And yes some shadows are missing but I like design :D

B_Dining_V1_001.jpg

this is what I meant

your lighting it's just really confusing

its a fair point. Here's a couple of progress images from that project. The lighting was adjusted as per client requests (as always). All the work on my site is pro work for clients. And as such, they all bare the scars of client review.

And the bar floor, yes, that took some last minute color adjustments and sheen knock down in post that screwed with the contacts.

B_Dining_V1_003.jpg

Tom obviously comps a lot of his work which would account for the different lighting and lack of shadow your pointing out. If he has clients that are anything like mine he probably gets some pretty crazy changes at the last minute. Sometimes you have to sacrifice perfection in order to get the job done. I don't think those minor issues are as big a deal as your making them out to be, I think they still look very good.

yep that to me looks much better, it's just makes a lot more sense

Thats the difference between pro and hobby work. The designer wants to promote the furniture selections and the finishes. The architectural vis aficionado wants to demonstrate the play of light. The two above were derided pretty harshly by the client, the final was well received.

Oh, and that was part of a 50 image job delivered in 28 days...

Edited by Tommy L

I don't think the shadows are an issue. Look at any pro interior photographers work. That's real world visual ref. Many of them minimize shadows with fill lights and post work.

To me, the top image looks much more closer to what a photographer would get. The bottom one is closer to your eye. It's a matter of which sensors are you trying to mimic. Human eye or camera? Hint: neither one is wrong.

It could be the reason it's called photo real (even though I'm not a fan of the term) and not human eye real.

I don't think the shadows are an issue. Look at any pro interior photographers work. That's real world visual ref. Many of them minimize shadows with fill lights and post work.

To me, the top image looks much more closer to what a photographer would get. The bottom one is closer to your eye. It's a matter of which sensors are you trying to mimic. Human eye or camera? Hint: neither one is wrong.

It could be the reason it's called photo real (even though I'm not a fan of the term) and not human eye real.

Well yes, but even when you light a space with fill lights you will still get shadows (albeit softer/lighter) coming from real life light sources (sky, sun, any other light sources present in the scene) in a correct angle and intensity. That's what makes an image look believable and that was really my main point of concern - not necessarily increasing the contrast between light and shadow just for the sake of it but to have light and shadow where you would expect it.

The second image looks better to me because I can see a sun behind the window and corresponding light/shadow on the floor and the chairs. I am not saying the image should have the sun present nor that it would look better, all I am saying is that you should choose one and not go in a weird hybrid way where you only have half of it.

edit: Also I am not trying to put down the work at all, just my view on some of the things that would make it even better.

Edited by martinhoura

It is always good to have the narrative so you can then judge the images correctly.

It is always difficult to compare personal and pro work completed against the clock and with so many amends the visual does get affected unfortunately, but the client is paying the bills.

A great 28 day challenge Tom.....

My clients are constantly mutilating the aesthetics of renderings. They want it whiter! They want the fabric to look like the swatch even though it's in shadow. etc.

I just shifted my attitude to one where the client's wishes are top priority; no matter how illogical or how much I am constantly grimacing.

Edited by heni30

... the client's wishes are top priority; no matter how illogical or how much I am constantly grimacing.

Absolutely right George. The client is always right, no matter how wrong they are.

Our work would all look very different if wasn't for them pesky clients, but there would be a lot less of it too!

And although I have no work up for people to crit or to establish the value of my 10c worth. My comment on the subject of the thread would be to say that I'd like to see less uniform reflections used throughout that body of work, I'm not talking dirtying it up or anything the clients won't like just a bit of a noise or grunge map to break up the reflections a bit.