MR 3ds Max2013 : How to add additional lights to an exterior daylight system scene

buzzytrent1

Hi all,

Please could someone shed some light (no pun intended) on how to add additional lights to my scene to create a more realistic effect. With my current knowledge applied to the daylight system settings, I feel the composition's lighting looks dull and bleak.

I am an amateur, as I'm sure you can tell, addicted to learning more about CG so any input is great.

Thanks in advance.

Buzzy

SKATEPARK2_zps6dc5742b.png

• 1 month later...

I think the main issue is it looks like an island cut off in the middle of a grass sea.

No comments on lighting - it doesnt look too bad other than its sunny and yet overcast? You may want to add some blue haze - and decide whether strong sun or diffuse light from overcast sky is in order.

But - a better compositon would help if this is the final view, perhaps not straight on, also lower more realistic camera height maybe? Post work would also help be reducing the green of the grass. Something in the foregound might also help frame the view - trees or whatever. Also what about fences and peripheral detail like paths, bottles. cans etc? Then of course you will be adding skateboarders etc in post will you?

Finally a main subject focus always helps - so perhaps someone leaping up toward the camera on a bike or something (+ a bit movement blur on it)? If you also blurred the foreground to add depth of focus it would also help. Vignetting would also help improve the over picture as well as perhaps darkening the sky and lightening the ground a little. Also perhaps some glare from the sun in the top left corner added in post?

Hope this stuff is useful. Most importantly take a look at som real photos of real skateparks and see what they look like - they are usually full of activity. Maybe create a theme or an interesting 'hook'/story in your image. Also lower the colour a lot and increate the contrast and grain to make it look like a photo?

Edited by NigelStutt