Evermotion: Unreal engine for Archviz - tutorial online

michalfranczak

I think there is a misunderstood or miss information of the technology behind the "real time" engines. Lumion, Lumen RT, The render killer and all of those, even though they look a like or look similar to Unreal engine, Unity and what not, they are pretty different, and also they are develop with different goals in mind.

Taking that in consideration the engine will be able to do some stuff, and won't be able to produce others. at least for now.

is not like Lumion would hire the Rock star programmer of Unreal and presto,you have all the goodies.

If you read the evermotion, "making off" (I would not call it tutorial) it clearly describe that everything was modeled to best perform in Unreal, all meshes where unwraped and prepared at the specific dimensions that Unreal can use to get the best results.

in the other hand you have Lumion that will ingest and terrible modeled REVIT model, full of gaps and overlapping faces, maybe everything with the same wall family, then apply pre-made textures, and maybe some other textures downloaded from internet, maybe not color corrected by the architect or designer, because, he or she does not have time or really don't see the difference. That's why they look so different, and in my opinion they will still look different for a while, just the same difference between a render produced by and new intern and a senior visualization artist. Producing High end real time images in Unreal or Crysys, take time, and skills, and fit those in an Architectural environment it is hard and most of the time no cost effective. Yes you can have it faster, but you loose quality. it is always the rule or third. Maybe in the future, (hopefully sooner than later) we can have the best of both worlds but now is not that easy as saying, why they don't match the quality, it is just a simple upgrade.

Cheers.

I'd like to know how long it took to make that scene in ue4...can't imagine the uv unwrapping job.. ughhh! But it looks cool heh!

from the article : For more complex objects such as furniture, you should use other methods such as pelt mapping. This is the major turn off for me. We all use very high poly assets, not always perfectly modelled...I tried to unwrap some of my chairs model and it was just too difficult lol. If only there was another method besides lightmass, I'd jump in real time I think!!! LPV not good enough at the moment. Doubt epic will add anything else, they said on twitch, they make the basics and allow people to make their own solutions...well...unfortunately I can't code a raytracer yet hehe!

There's Otoy that has talked about having a octane/brigade (real time path tracing) plugin to ue4...probably won't see it anytime soon tho.

Edited by philippelamoureux

LPV not good enough at the moment. Doubt epic will add anything else, they said on twitch, they make the basics and allow people to make their own solutions...well...unfortunately I can't code a raytracer yet hehe!

There's Otoy that has talked about having a octane/brigade (real time path tracing) plugin to ue4...probably won't see it anytime soon tho.

LPV isn't bad for a beta. I think we'll start using LPV before real time path tracing. It reminds me when vray's irradiance map replaced photon mapping. The shadows weren't that great, but it was much faster.

LPV isn't bad for a beta. I think we'll start using LPV before real time path tracing. It reminds me when vray's irradiance map replaced photon mapping. The shadows weren't that great, but it was much faster.

Yea but LPV is developped by lionhead studios iirc, it's a solution for their game. Not too sure if we're gonna see many updates for it. Don't think Epic themselves are going to push it really far. We'll see I guess! I don't think we need path tracing at all cost but at least precises shadows from LPV...it's a must in arch viz heh!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys!

We have created a community guide to using Unreal Engine 4 for architectural visualization. http://collidervisuals.com/guide

The goal is for us to build the most comprehensive archviz guide online that doesn’t need periodic reposts as it is updated in real-time!

To comment, select a piece of text or a pic, right click, and click comment. Text with comments will be highlighted.

To suggest changes or add new content simply edit the document. The font for suggestions is green.

We will frequently add content to the guide and we hope that you will too. This document is public, so share the knowledge and play nice!