Interior looks fine with RT and crappy with "normal render"

fredrikulander

Hello All!

I've just migrated from maxwell to vray, both to improve workflow and being able to make renders "in-house" (had to use render farms for maxwell).

I'm working on an interior scene for a client and I can't seem to get interior walls to shadow properly -> render looks flat.

It almost looks like the GI (skylight) lights the entire scene rather than creating dark areas where they should be. When I Render with the progressive renderer however, it looks fine and more "maxwelly", and dark areas are created where they are supposed to be.

Attaching both images, didn't go too far with the sampling levels on the RT-render because of time. Notice the areas in the unlit room to the left and the celing/wall above the opening in the background, as well as all other areas where natural shadows would occur. As of now it just looks washed-out all over. No depth at all.

I have a hunch this has something to do with Primary and Secondary bounces, but i'm guessing. Having Irr Map for primary and Light Cache for secondary bounces. There's heaps more settings for the renderer than in Maxwell where a light was a light and maxwell solved the rest :)

Suggestions to improve my settings? Ambient occlusion only partially "solve" the problem, but IMHO AO should be "created" and appear where it naturally would and not added through a shader. AO could also be used as a finishing touch to give depth to the scene.

RT.jpg

Render.jpg