VRay Light is not doing anything (artificial lighting night scene)

angelocleef

Dear reader,

I am using 3ds Max and Vray. I am trying to make a night scene like in this tutorial:

http://www.workshop.mintviz.com/tutorials/light-and-render-an-interior-day-and-night-scene-using-3ds-max-and-v-ray/

No matter what I do, my light looks horrible! I even took the render settings the tutorial uses and used it to render my own, but stiill the light does not go far, it is like they have a tiny decay! I have to put my Lumen on insane amounts to get a little bit of light, and even then the light does NOT bounce further then a couple of centimeters!

Been stuck on this problem for days and I havent been able to find a solution so far.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong and how to fix this?

Left is the image I want to archieve, right is my image. I used a Vray Light (sphere) with lumen of 8000, even if I crank it up to 250.000 the light does not spread out, it stays within a couple of centimeters and all it does is getting brighter :(

sdfsdfsdfsdfdsfsdf.jpg

P.S. I did use realistic messurements ;)

Edited by angelocleef

This really seems like a scene scale issue. Because Vray tries to use real world units to measure light distance if your's is off this effect will happen. Either needing to put your intensity up 10 fold or your decay down so much there is barely any falloff. From what I read it just seems like a scene scale issue.

If you scale down your entire scene and re render see if the lighting changes.

What are your camera settings? Have you tried adjusting the exposure?

Set everything in your scene to real world values and use a camera like you would in real life. If you want to take a picture in a dark room do you turn up the lights? No, you adjust your camera exposure.

Works the same in VRay.

Keep in mind if you only have one light trying to light an entire room, you're going to have to crank your camera exposure values pretty high. Imagine sitting in a room with only one light and using your camera phone to take a picture; the screen is going to be absolutely black.

[edit] Also check your gamma settings are set to 2.2

Edited by Macker

Dear reader,

I am using 3ds Max and Vray. I am trying to make a night scene like in this tutorial:

http://www.workshop.mintviz.com/tutorials/light-and-render-an-interior-day-and-night-scene-using-3ds-max-and-v-ray/

No matter what I do, my light looks horrible! I even took the render settings the tutorial uses and used it to render my own, but stiill the light does not go far, it is like they have a tiny decay! I have to put my Lumen on insane amounts to get a little bit of light, and even then the light does NOT bounce further then a couple of centimeters!

Been stuck on this problem for days and I havent been able to find a solution so far.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong and how to fix this?

Left is the image I want to archieve, right is my image. I used a Vray Light (sphere) with lumen of 8000, even if I crank it up to 250.000 the light does not spread out, it stays within a couple of centimeters and all it does is getting brighter :(

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52327[/ATTACH]

P.S. I did use realistic messurements ;)

You don’t have display colours in sRGB space enabled in the VFB. You should enable this to see the correct gamma if you are using colour mapping only (no gamma) in the colour mapping settings. Also your camera f-stop value is a lot higher than what was set in the tutorial for that scene, which will also darken the image.