Corona_Kitchen - first try w. corona

jensandersen

1418164495.jpg

Studio/Institution: Personal project
Genre: Residential Interior
Software: 3ds max, Corona and PS
Description:

Hi guys

Like many others, I decided to give corona a try.

I tried to recreate a kitchen add from a magazine I had next to me and it was great fun / easy to work with corona! It was just standard settings and I left my new computer with the job over night (used a laptop before, so might not really need 6hours of rendering for this pic, but old habbit...).

Any feedback both regarding picture and if I could optimize the standard render settings for a scene like this, would be very welcome.

Cheers!

(org. render was 3500px)

I agree with George, the oven does look a bit washed out. I understand its meant to have a slightly foggy look to it but I think it should have more a darker cast instead of the grey for it to look better. the lampshade im guessing is meant to look all jaggy and im digging it I think it looks great BUT the shader maybe isnt working for it. It looks a bit flat and CG compared to the rest of the scene. an added bonus to the scene would be a bump or dispplacemnt on the wood panelling just to get a bit more detail and depth from the great lighting you have. George is also right again, the FG looks great no complaints but the bg does look washed out, maybe try placing a few more lights down there? if you notice at the front of the image there is alot of dynamic range working within all those shapes making it look good but and this isnt your fault, as the light travels down it softens as it would naturally (quadriatic decay) and casts this soft and even light resulting in the flatness. so my tip is add some lights in the bg, Im really liking the image though! later buddy ^-^

Thanks alot for the feedback guys. Here is a "quick fix". I might go about adding the bump and playing more with the lamp shader as you mentioned cwmdesign. By the way, the BG enviroment is the only thing "photoshopped in". I would think it was natural to make it a bit washed out as the light entering from that window, hence forcing the camera to "blow out" the white area a bit?

lmjIYb4.jpg

CWM, thanks alot for putting the time in to clear it up. Even though focus is in the "BG" the picture could use that little extra detail in the FG to make it even better. Good advice, now get on over to my next thread and start spilling those wise words in there too! ;)

haha im glad you understood my comment Jens, I need to explain more clearly next time :)

I think the camera could be placed higher. And maybe also a bit closer, the oven is a bit too wide.

Maybe some chairs and table in the foreground on the right side?

The lamp shades could hang lower and the need some more definition and maybe a bit bloom.

Almost all edges look very sharp (walls, kitchen, sink, water tap)

The joints of the brick wall look flat and could use some bump - and the displacement on the bricks is a bit too strong for my liking.

And the kitchen material could be improved - it looks a bit flat and dark/ undefined.

The carpet looks more like a mat when i look at the edge.

Edited by numerobis

Hey Jens -

To me, the image is reading very well. A couple things, tho -

Whats up with the hanging light fixtures? They look faceted to me, but randomly. It might be the design of the light itself, but to a dude who used to have to try and bring in crappy geometry when computers didn't have enough RAM to handle anything, it looks like a badly imported model.

I would change the angle of the chair by the window so that it reads differently. I keep finding that I look at it and try to figure out how its designed. I would try rotating it one way, and then the other, and see if either of those choices let it read better. And if it doesn't, that's ok too; the positioning limits what it can do.

And I would add some art on the right hand wall. It doesn't really matter what it is, but I would try to break that up a little bit, and make sure that the fun reflective stuff in the kitchen had some more to play with and really show it off.

Lastly, I would personally add a little bit of blue to the sky outside. The rendering is very white, which is nice, but I like having a splash of color in my renderings somewhere just to liven them up. Likewise, I tend to wear colorful pocket squares when I wear a suit, just to perk things up a little.

Nice job, dude.

Hey Jens -

To me, the image is reading very well. A couple things, tho -

Whats up with the hanging light fixtures? They look faceted to me, but randomly. It might be the design of the light itself, but to a dude who used to have to try and bring in crappy geometry when computers didn't have enough RAM to handle anything, it looks like a badly imported model.

:)

http://www.foscarini.com/diesel/en/lamps/suspension/rock.html

Once again thank you guys for the invaluable feedback. I'll definitely add something to the right hand wall, maybe position the camera a little differently to fix the issue with the oven taking a bit too much focus and finally either fix the lamp shader or change them as they seem to generate some confusion ;)

Lots of work to be done still on my wips!