Revit to Lumion scene creation time.

K M

Hey. Recently I got a job doing renders for a building company. Currently I am using Revit for the modeling and Lumion for the renders. Was just curious as to how long people take to do renders (setting up the scene) and what their process is as i want to be as fast and efficient as possible.

Currently i receive a pre-made model that has been used to create the working drawings. When I have to start rendering I switch back and forth between Revit and Lumion (about 20 times, re-importing models) each time making slightly different changes and fixing mistakes like flickering surfaces or accidentally doubling up on material choices in Revit so for example when I get into Lumion, say a wall and a bench top might be the same material which I will have to go back into revit to change this.

This all takes me about 2, 2 1/2 days till the model is complete.

Just wanted to know how other people are doing this, how long it takes, any tips and so on???

Thanks

Minimum System Requirements

System memory: 4GB (for simple scenes)

Graphics card: NVidia GeForce GTS 450 or ATI/AMD Radeon HD 4890 (minimum 1,500 PassMark points), with at least 1GB dedicated memory (not shared system memory).

Harddrive: 7.5GB of disk space

Using Lumion via Remote Desktop is not supported

Lumion 4 requires an internet connection.

Recommended System Specifications

System memory: 8GB

Graphics card: NVidia GTX 680 / AMD Radeon HD 7970 or faster (minimum 4,000 PassMark points), with at least 2GB dedicated memory (not shared system memory).

Harddrive: 7.5GB of disk space

Using Lumion via Remote Desktop is not supported

Lumion 4 requires an internet connection.

tell me your system configuration because such time lumion will not support the lower graphics card

I have a pretty old computer and will be upgrading soon. But here are the specs

Processor Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz

System memory: Dedicated Memory 1.0 GB

Total Memory 2.7 GB

Memory 4.1 GB

Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series

I have internet connection

Whilst my computer does slow me down, I am more interested in the time people take modeling and creating the scene not rendering times:)

Do you have a working dialog back with the Revit team, because I would be screaming at them if I had to re-import things 20 times to fix their mistakes. You should only have to import the model 1, 2 times tops, into Luminon. To make this an effective process, the model needs to be 100% correct in Revit. The Revit team need to think in 3D or else it doesn't work and you might as well just model it from scratch in Max. Frankly, I'd remodel it 99% of the time anyways as you get a cleaner model and therefore less work for your GPU in Luminon.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished a Revit / Lumion project. It took me about a day to import the model into SketchUp, clean up model, fix some design issues, texture. Then it took about a half day in Lumion to get final images completed. It was really a pleasure to use Lumion and I was quite impressed with it.

''''The Revit team need to think in 3D or else it doesn't work and you might as well just model it from scratch in Max.'''

I agree with Scott, but the reality is that the Revit guy/team probably doesnt really care about 3D or other file users.

You might get them to do it properly by telling the boss that he will save money when his team would submit a proper file.

If he says that ''it is your job to do the 3D stuff'' well, then you have to charge extra.

9 out 10 times the Revit person is an architect, not an illustrator or anyone with any 3D rendering background. I always assume I have to import the Revit file to clean up, then link that into Lumion. For me, I prefer SketchUp, it imports cleanly into Lumion and as you revised the model, the reload feature in Lumion is very easy.

Hey thanks for the replies. Sorry it took so long to reply as each time I tried it didn't upload for some reason.

So as for my system spec, I have to bring my computer into the office and its about 7 years old so it struggles quite a bit. I will however be getting a new computer soon so this should increase model/rendering time. And it is more the modeling side of things rather than the rendering speed that I'm concentrating on at the moment.

It should have also been mentioned in my first post, that I fully render the entire project including chosen materials, landscaping, neighboring buildings and streetscape so that the client can use 'Lumion Viewer' and move around the design and look at each detail. This is also accompanied by a couple renders and a video for them to take home.

I have used 'Sketch Up' before but I found (probably because I'm not that great at using it) that it doesn't give me the flexibility as Revit (soon to be ArchiCAD as well).

Do any of you do/done this type of detail work?

A couple people have been pushing me to learn ArchiCAD which ill start to teach myself soon. But as for SketchUp, like i mentioned above I'm not that familiar with it so maybe it would be worth looking into it. How does it transfer Revit and Archicad models as they are the file types I receive from the architects.

I find Revit is absolutely hateful for visualisation purposes. I can't think of a time when I've used it and thought "hey, that wasn't too bad and it looks pretty good too".

It takes a lot of collaboration to get Revit to a point where the process of translation to Max is efficient, more than should be necessary considering Max is developed under the same "roof" for more than 12 years now. And the "workflow" keeps being rewritten in ways that break tried and true processes. Even still, anything is better than dealing with the mental ray implementation inside of Revit.

Lumion does a much better job at handling Revit data consistently. It is rare when the reload model function in Lumion does not work as expected.