Let's talk about attaining new clients

adamchase1

So over the past few years I've been working on unfulfilling job in advertising at a fairly large agency Throughout the past 5 years i've been also been freelancing on the side and have a steady client base and enough for me to scrape by on.

About 4 months ago I called it quits at my 9-5(hell) and have been enjoying the new lifestyle of a freelance artist. I'm not starving or anything and have enough work to pay the bills and keep food on my table. I'm also fairly young so I figured now is the time to have a go at what I actually enjoy.

I also moved to a new city(Montreal) because the cost of living is far less than Toronto(1/2 the rent). I've had a few meeting with interior designers and architects over the past two months since I've moved here but I'd also like to "step it up" a notch. The thing is I really don't know how to get in contact with the correct people at firms or agencies to get that much more work.

I was wondering what process some of you fine gents undertook while starting off to get the proper contacts working in the right places?

Hey Adam, good to see you coming to Montreal, even tho we might end up in competition. I'm starting a small viz studio with a friend. I'm also in MTL by the way.

Some things you might want to check out. happened in MTL in 2013, hopefully we'll see it coming back in 2015 : the Montreal design open house, where you can visit a ton of arch firms, designers studio etc. You can meet the people working there and make contacts. http://www.portesouvertesdesignmontreal.com/en/highlights-2013

Also, SIDIM design show coming in may 2015. http://www.sidim.com/en/

Here's a repertory of probably every designer/architects firm in the city : http://mtlunescodesigners.com/en/search

My plan would (will) be to either send email to people I might be interested to visualize for or call them and offer my services. But first, make yourself a good professional website if it's not already done and try to get visible on google!!!

Montreal is a UNESCO city of design, I'm sure there will be plenty of job for us in the future!

Good luck

Hi Philippe,

Thanks for the response! I've heard about the Design Expo and actually tried to see if it was coming back but couldn't find an answer.

I'm looking forward to setting up base here and have high hopes for this city. (I was actually born here)

One of my things is most of my clients at this point in time are all over North America and some in Europe but only a handful are local. I want to be able to have face to faces with my clients as I know it builds that much more of a relationship.

If you're ever down to grab a coffee shoot me an e-mail or msg on here!

• 1 month later...

One of my things is most of my clients at this point in time are all over North America and some in Europe but only a handful are local. I want to be able to have face to faces with my clients as I know it builds that much more of a relationship. ???

GuL

nothing beats a face to face introduction. firms are inundated with service bureau solicitations via email from around the world on a constant basis and most just get trashed. I'd suggest you contact the RAIC chapter and ask about any opportunities for presenting an educational seminar. Just keep it generic and informative about a topic you are comfortable with and not a sales pitch. follow that up with a presence at the chapter meetings. Keep in mind that most architects really don't have any money. They only funnel funds from clients so you really need to work your way direct to the source but it's a good first step before you jump into the shark tank.